60s, 70s Champ and Vibro Champ

Gridlock

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the two are the same except for the tremolo circuit.

H. Mac

I've compared my silverface Vibro Champ to blackface, other silverfaces, and non-Vibros lots of times, and the sonic differences are insignificant, and subtle enough that you have to listen very closely to hear. After I installed a Weber 8F150, my VC sounds better than any stock Champ or VC that I've had the chance to compare side-by-side.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Component differences can make a difference, but it's not like there's one necessarily better. Of the 3 I have the SF with the Weber speaker sounds the best. There's a difference with the 5F3 version, though, because it doesn't have the tone stack: a bit rawer and more gain at lower volume.

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
I've been itching for a non vibrato Champ. I think I'd get a lot of home use and small jams. I have a PRRI I might move for something like a champ to focus more on home use.

dcbc

I've been itching for a non vibrato Champ. I think I'd get a lot of home use and small jams. I have a PRRI I might move for something like a champ to focus more on home use.
After I got my 76 PR, I unloaded my 77 Champ. Both were great amps, but the Champ seemed redundant. It was fun to crank, but the cleans weren't as pretty as the PR's.

zenas

On a Vibro Champ if you don't have the footswitch try a dummy plug to shut of the trem. It changes the sound vs just turning it all the way down to shut it off.

I can't take credit for that tip read about it somewhere a while back. After having a Vibro Champ or two laying around for over 20 years.

Trending Topics