60's & 70's psycidellia....what effects, need ideas...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Aug 11, 2005.

1. somedude

somedude Member

My guitar sound is sort of a modernized version of some of my favorite 70's guitar sounds. It's big, fat, heavy and sludgy.

What I'm looking for are some effects (and techniques for their use) that I can integrate into my sound to give it a more psycidellic edge.

Recommendations?

2. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Black Cat Superfuzz.

DAM 1966

any number of the fine vibe pedals around.

Electro harmonix tube zipper or any number of thier noise makers.

etc. just to get you started.

3. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

You can get very psychedelic with phaser, univibe, fuzz, and wah wah.

The cool thing about psychedelic music is there are no rules so have fun and twist the knobs until you trip-out.

4. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

MUST HAVE DELAY OR TAPE ECHO AND A WAH AND A PHASER!!!

Echoczar... Fulltone TTE... Pro Analog Supa Quack... and personally for psychedelia... I'm a huge fan of a Moog Phaser pedal.

-TJK

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

A ring modulator is a must-preferrably with inputs so you can control it with a CV pedal.

A low-pass filter (wah) preferrably that can do autowah as well would be cool.

If you can swing it, the Mooger-Fooger RM and LPF with the CP251 control box make a killer combo for mangling sound...

6. somedude

somedude Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm currently using this jumbled mess right here....

http://home.cogeco.ca/~screamingdaisy/New_Folder/rig_pedalboard_rebuild.JPG

So, I have the wah, vibe, and delay parts down.

I had a Moon Phaser, but I didn't like it and thus sold it. I've been checking out the EVH Phase 90 and an old Small Stone down at the local shop....I might get one, not too sure yet as phase really doesn't seem to be my thing. I basically end up wishing it sounded more like a vibe, so they never get much use.

I really like the way chorus modulates feedback. I used to use a Small Clone, but replaced that with a CE-2, and I just replaced that with the CE-20. The CE-20 is a killer unit by the way. ;)

And I've been using the octave up/down harmony on the WH-1 for octave effects.

The flanger I just added today so I'm still experimenting, but I've dialed in this really subtle setting that adds this unique texture that I find really interesting as I've always avoided flangers before.

Still looking for ideas more however. :)

7. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

A fuzz of some sort and a Foxrox TZF. I've been using it on the "House Burning Down" setting lately. Very cool.

8. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

"Big, Fat, Heavy, Sludgy"
    I would think that the DAM MKII w OC81Ds would bring a smile to your face. One thing I really love about this fuzz is that it can be "tamed" with the guitar's volume knob to reveal shades of fuzzy grit. With the guitar's volume on 10, it is saturated, ultra dense and will just sustain indefinitely through a cooking amp. Lay the guitar's volume back and the fuzz becomes gradually less dense and the texture is more "dynamic" for lack of a better word. It won't really clean up all the way, but thats what the footswitch is for :D
    I have the 1966 Tonebender made by DAM, as well, and that one is a real badass too...not as much gain as the MKII but sometimes I prefer it when running in to a amp that has quite a bit of gain already going for it. Also gets great early psych tones into a clean amp.

Can you name some specific tones/bands that you would like to get close to in sound? Also, what guitars & amps do you use?

9. dave s

dave s Member

the 'psycho 60s' pedals on my board are the Analogman Sunface fuzz and the L6 DL4 delay pedal. I have a tape echo slapback (approx 60ms of delay) setup on the DL4 and use the fuzz for some killer tones.

The key to using the fuzz is the volume knob on the guitar. The Sunface cleans up really well.

My band plays Incense and Peppermint which requires straight up fuzz with guitar volume full on for that non-ending sustain.

I really dig playing the psychodelic 60s stuff. Lots of fun!

dave

10. somedude

somedude Member

I can't really name any bands....it's kind of a thing I'm hearing in my head that's trying to find it's way out. I'll know it when I hear it, but I can't think of any bands off the top of my head. I suppose if I had to name someone, it would be Hendrix....but alot of it's the influence of lots of similar type of music, including stuff from movie soundtracks, long forgotten bands I heard on the radio as a kid, ect. There's also outside influences like post-punk (Cure and Sonic Youth), alt-rock (U2 and Live) and more modern influences that include the psycidellic side of house and trance.

Here's an older pic of what I'm using, ignore the pedalboard, as it's always changing. I also have a 1x15 that's being used for my left channel until I get another 4x12, and a Laney Iommi head.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~screamingdaisy/New_Folder/rig_whole.JPG

Both guitars have an 81 in the bridge, and the LP has a 60 in the neck.

Not pictured is my other Fender Strat. It's 24 fret w/ Floyd Rose, DiMz Vert Vintage Blues (n), 2.2 (m), and a splittable Super Distortion (b). It's my main guitar when doing psycidellia....mostly because of the bridge and it feeds back so much better than the EMG loaded guitars.

I'm also about to get an all single coil G&L S-500....

11. Swarty

Swarty Member

I think a rich sounding flange is about a psychedelic as it gets... Think Itchycoo Park and all that great Hendrix studio stuff.

12. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

The old MJM China Fuzz with the mode stomp.

I'm running it into the Moog MF Ring, Transmisser, then the Echolution Ultra Pro.

Trippy...

13. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Abraham Lincoln was still in elementary-school when this thread first hit the board.

14. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

Fuzz
    Wah
    Phase
    Trem
    Vibe
    Delay

15. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

So, you're saying we need more recreational drugs? :huh

talentless hack and Frankee like this.
  16. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Yet...

It's still relevant.

I've got a Digitech Space Station in the mail.

I'm planning going on a mission.

Frankee and chankgeez like this.
  17. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Not just the fun ones, either.

chankgeez and e??? like this.
  18. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

A good wah. I had mslp put a circuit into a non working vox enclosure. Sounds great.

A good phaser. I'm using a tortuga Mai tai.

A tonebender, a fuzzrite, or a fuzz face. THe eqd spires is like a baddy versatile fuzzrite and a fuzzface in one.

Other possibilities
    Twa triskelion or harmonic percolator
    Auto wah
    Tape or magnetic flavored echo

19. althekiller

althekiller Supporting Member

Lots of wah tricks are used in psychedelic music. The wah can be used as a phaser, Held in multiple positions for different dark or think spitting tones, slow trippy sweeps, for feedback and oscillation, etc...the wah is vital imo for psychedelic as it's as much an instrument as the guitar and amp.

It looks like you have wah covered though, although, if you can find one that has microphones qualities to it it really helps that much more for getting trippy sounds.

Other pedals I'd recommend is a tremolo pedal of some sort. Or that Catalinbread anticthon that is a tremolo/fuzz in one that reacts randomly to the guitars volume and tone knobs. I've always wanted that pedal to get some spaces psych tones.

20. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I was on this thread in 2005.
    I guess I'd better be on it in 2016.

I wish I still had my dual D*A*M Tonebender that I talked about earlier in this thread.
    [​IMG]

Mosley, chankgeez and Pedal Dan like this.