60's 70s rock

r0ck0ut

Not sure if I put this in the right place. Can someone recommend me some early rock 60s 70s. I've been listening to 80s metal all my life. I need a change. Any help would be appreciated.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Ziggy era Bowie would be a good addition as well, very influencial on the British 80s metal scene and if you can get into Bowie through the more accessible Ziggy era albums there's a massive catalogue of diverse and fascinating music to explore.

A good starting point would be the Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture album - live, great cross section of material with several songs exceeding the studio versions in their turbo charged live form, Ronson is on fire and the whole band on top form.

Strummerfan

Iggy Pop and the Stooges
The Ramones
David Bowie Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs
Pink Floyd
Eric Burden and the Animals
John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers
The Doors
There's a ton of good stuff from those decades. Have fun exploring.

Strummerfan

Ziggy era Bowie would be a good addition as well, very influencial on the British 80s metal scene and if you can get into Bowie through the more accessible Ziggy era albums there's a massive catalogue of diverse and fascinating music to explore.

A good starting point would be the Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture album - live, great cross section of material with several songs exceeding the studio versions in their turbo charged live form, Ronson is on fire and the whole band on top form.
I watch that movie every couple of months. Mick was awesome, Bowie should never have moved on from him. Another great Bowie track is Andy Warhol, the acoustic riff is so heavy, add some gain and it would sit well with any metal album.

Trolley Car

This will get you started:
These are random responses, not in order of quality or importance.

The Byrds
The Animals
The Rolling Stones
Steppenwolf
Love
David Bowie
Donovan
Derek and the Dominoes
Cream
Spirit
Captain Beyond
King Crimson
Crosby, Stills, Nash , and Young
Buffalo Springfield
The Doors
Jefferson Airplane
Steely Dan
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Foghat
Budgie
Traffic
Electric Light Orchestra
The Beatles

Last edited:

JJFlash

A few of my favorites -

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust - Aladdin Sane Sane

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - Exile on Main Street

T Rex - Electric Warrior - The Slider

The Who - Who’s Next - Live at Leeds/Hull

The Kinks - Lola vs. The Powerman - Muswell Hillbillies

The Beatles - Abby Road - Let it Be

Derrick and the Dominoes

Rush - Fly By Night - Moving Pictures

Jimi Hendrix - Live at Monterey Pop Festival

Aerosmith - Aerosmith

Queen - Live Killers

The Clash - The Clash

Sex Pistols - Never Mind

Strat58

The Faces
The Small Faces
The Yardbirds
Humble Pie
Alice Cooper
Slade
The Sweet
The Free
Rory Gallagher
Rainbow
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Allman Brothers
Tons of great music is lying ahead of you.
Peace Strat58

JJFlash

Such a great moment in time, fantastic show/movie. Ronson's solo on Hang on to Yourself is worth the price of admission. Too bad the mix sounds so awful.

Mickey Shane

apolitical
Silver Supporting Member
I agree with all of the aforementioned, but would like to add The Blue Cheer. If you like it loud, there you go.

bigtone23

Any "Classic Rock" radio station will provide the core of 60s/70s rock.
(it will also provide a lot of 80s and 90s hits, too, now)

Top Bottom