60's and 70's Vintage Gibsons.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TRGuy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

So yeah, Im selling a load of stuff to fund a vintage Gibson. Im looking mainly at 1960's and 70's LP Customs and ES-335's.

Any experts in here? any "golden years" or models to stay away? I have already been advised against ES-330's as their neck connects on the 15th fret meaning upper fret access is terrible.

early 60's 335's sell for about £10,000 ($20,000) and I will have about £4000 ($8000) so they're out the question really.

What about Trini-Lopez'es? They're early 60's but tend to sell for much less, around the £2000-3000 mark. Are they similar to 335's of the same period?

Any insight into this era's best Gibsons please let me know. Also a good opportunity for you to plug your for sale gear if you want.

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

early 70, pre 74 lp customs are good but some have small frets , the 68-70 are considered the best but each guitar is it like a person ....was every person born in 69 cool or are they all assholes... bit of both and inbetween. nice lps are the 74 custom ordered standards , mahogany necks(3 piece like the expenive archtops), full size T top humbuckers. not super heavy, nice tabacco burst never saw one in the clown burst...had one for 20 years, one of the best lp:took an R8 to replace when it needed a fret job and I retired and often over looked a bit rare but they made a bunch so you can find them

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

If you are buying as an investment, save your money for an earlier guitar. If you like these guitars, then take your time and play several. Some of them are excellent.

4. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Later ES-330's have the neck joining as on the ES-335
    Glad you counted the early ES-330's out. I'm looking for one...:moon Superb guitars
    I think you would be lucky to find a 60's LP for your budget. 68/69 ones have shot up. If you can find one, go for it.

5. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I have a 1960 ES-330 with the neck joining at the 16th fret. Upper fret access is somewhat limited but not something I can't deal with. I rarely go that high up on the neck anyway. I like the size of the neck on my ES-330. It is an early 1960 and has a big thick neck.

I have played alot of Les Pauls. But the one I got that really did it for me is a 1974 goldtop Les Paul Deluxe.

Right now I am thinking that my next old guitar purchase will be either a Barney Kessel Custom or a Trini Lopez.

6. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I've got 2 '74 Standards, both are outstanding guitars - every bit as good as a nice Historic but with the added mojo of being nearly 35 years old.

What year did Customs start to have a maple top?

7. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

8. jimlp

jimlp Member

If you are looking for a Trini Lopez a local dealer had 2 of them both mid 60's and from what I could tell they were in great shape. If you want any info or Phone# let me know.

9. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

For $8K, you can find a 50's LP Special w/ some small issues. That's exactly where I'd plunk my money down. Next, I might consider some early 60's p-90 SG's, though I don't like many of their necks.