60's gibson SG headstock questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by angusfan, Apr 11, 2015.

1. angusfan

angusfan Member

I bought a '69 SG standard off of here years back. It was mostly a husk, with the finish stipped off. I always took the guitar as giving its good up for something else and getting put back together with spare parts laying around.

I'm looking to put the guitar back in some better shape and form, I would like to do a refinish on it at some point. but this headstock has always had me wondering what's going on. so, what is up with this headstock and the inlays? does it look right? was there paint over the top to form the gibson letters and the crown? did someone rob the inlays and replaced them with these? can someone explain the details of these? it doesn't appear to have a holly vener.

[​IMG]

2. dconeill

dconeill Member

Doesn't look right to me. Compare to this link. The shape isn't as crisp and the inlays are wrong and not as detailed. My guess is that someone repaired the headstock and this is what they came up with - similar but not the same as the original Gibson - but that's only a guess.

3. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

That's not really comparable, as the link shows a '70s headstock.

Angusfan, it looks right for a '69 - they did indeed use a pearl "block" for the logo, and painted the Gibson name over it. The location of the crown looks right too. There's a '69 for sale in the Emporium, and it looks identical... except painted. It's even started flaking around the logo, so you can see a bit of the pearl block.

When you have it restored, pick a person who knows vintage guitars.

4. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Yeah, '69 was the middle of the pantograph era, simply inlaying a oversize block of pearl and silkscreening the letters in black paint over the top. Cheap to do, quickly deteriorates and looks terrible.

Here's a link with a better description and a few examples: http://www.es-335.org/2010/07/06/headstock-logos/