1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

'60's Gibson w/ 2 serial numbers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dwes, Feb 15, 2009.

1. dwes

dwes Member

Anyone know why a mid '60's SG Special would have two serial numbers? One appears to have been stamped over top of the other.

Thanks!

2. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

is it the same number? I have known of people who have sent back their guitar to Gibson or had someone else restamp the serial if it was fading.

Any pics?

3. dwes

dwes Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get an image of it, but it's going to be difficult - the numbers are very faint. There are different numbers depending upon the angle and lighting. The first two digits of the serial number don't appear to have been re-stamped. The other four do. The guitar has been blacklighted and was purchased from a reputable dealer a few years back. I hadn't noticed this until the morning.

4. dwes

dwes Member

The Serial # is too hard to capture in room lighting and the flash bounces back off of the white finish. Maybe a better pic outdoors when the weather warms a bit.

Here are a few images. Any thoughts/experience appreciated.

Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. speedtaco

speedtaco Member

My '66 es-335 was stamped twice. I assume they forgot to change the number, and restamped it. Only one digit is different, and it is one number higher, but there are two impressions. Just a slack builder I guess.

6. dwes

dwes Member

That sounds like a good possibility. Thanks.

7. dwes

dwes Member

Come on Gibson guys. Anything???

8. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

My '64 ES-335 has 2 s/n's in the headstock. One of them matches the orange label. One of the numbers is hard to read.....almost like a holograph. But if you turn the neck just right, in just the right light, the 2nd s/n is clear as day.

The headstock was also stamped as a "2".......I have to think they simply hit the neck twice, rendering the piece a factory 2nd.

9. george4908

george4908 Member

I had a '72 Les Paul with two serial numbers. There was a 6 or 7 digit serial number in the usual place, then below that there was a second three digit serial number. The middle digit of the three was an "8". At first glance. Upon closer inspection, however, you could see that there was originally a "2" under the "8". In other words, the guitar was stamped as a second, and some unscrupulous a**hole stamped an "8" over the "2" and attempted to further disguise the fact by adding two digits on either side. I owned that guitar for many years before I realized that.