60's Guyatone 'Reverb Jazz' 212 ????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcgriff420, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I bought this amp off a friend 6 or 7 years ago and kinda forgot about it.

It's a Guyatone Reverb Jazz GA-1050 212 Japanese origin.

Cosmeticaly it looks like a SF Fender twin and came with two alnico speakers of undetermined origin.

Tube wise it had a selection of ax7's and an at7, and two 6L6GC's labeled Toshiba Japan, Tokyo Shibaura electric. These are likely the original power tubes.

It never really worked that well and I had other amps at the time so it went into a storage room. I was reading a thread about Sf fenders and thought I'd pull it out and see if any members knew anything about the amp. My camera died before I could take any gut shots but here's a front and back. If I did post a few gut shots maybe a member could help me determine the type of circuit?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. candh

candh Member

I have a few of these Elk/Guyatone amps down the basement. In my experience they aren't worth getting too deeply involved in. All the caps and wirewound resistors (Atlas) are cheap junk and finding layouts and schematics will prove futile...let me know if you find any. I have the Elk Twin schematic but I haven't found any others. These amps are always coming up on the Japanese auction sites and go for pretty cheap. BUT, the Reverb Jazz is always one of the more popular models and regularly fetch upwards of $500 in equivalent yen. I think most guys here have cought on that the chassis' and trannies make very good donors for Fender clones. That is what I am going to do with mine. Yours is in excellent shape. In fact, it is probably THE nicest one I have ever seen.

If you're handy an AB763 Hoffman board would be a "shoe in".

3. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Wacked out! Looks like a parallel universe Fender.
    Yeah, I'd like to see a gut shot. Very curious about how close it is to a Fender layout. Is it PTP or PCB? Maybe you could install some quality parts and tubes and be good to go. Loks like the chassis is a thinner gauge steel than the real thing.

4. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I think it's awesome, I also remember some zany Mexican brand copying Fenders.

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Here's a few gut shots, I wasn't sure which were more relevant to determine the circuit type.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. candh

candh Member

Hold the phone...That's a good one. I have earlier models which are all tag boards with caps on both sides which are impossible to work on. Those PCB ones have pretty hefty traces and........ no caps under the boards, right?

If it were me,, I would deep six all those oil caps followed by the electrolytics. The wire wounds are fine but some carbon comps in the critical areas (at least) will improve the tone. Actually, I'm trying to figure out if those resistors are the wirewounds or not. They look a little different than the usual atlas WW's....interesting. Diode rectified, too....interesting.

7. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

So with only two 6l6's and the diode rectifier is the circuit even remotely related to the BF or SF twin?

8. candh

candh Member

It's tough to say if you don't have a schematic to study. I'm sure you are going to find parallels but I think these had their own funky thing going on. The one I have looked like a bandmaster reverb (with vibrato) head but with 6CA7's and tube rectified....:NUTS

How does your's sound now? Regardless, I would still love to have one in that shape.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's not going to be a twin circuit. It could be a takeoff on the AB864 Super/Pro/Bandmaster reverb circuit, but it's pretty tough to trace from the pic. A good Fender tech could tell you if things resemble a specific Fender model. Your bigger problem is that, if it doesn't sound great and it's in that killer condition, it's not likely to sound great without replacing almost everything. I'd probably suggest selling it to a Guyatone collector and finding a SF Fender to replace it with...