60's Modulation Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MrKite89, Apr 11, 2015.

1. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Hi, I have a TC Electronic SCF (1980's) and a Phase 45 Reissue, but I'm looking at a simple, dirty chorus\flanger tone: the SCF is very nice, too much sometimes, and the Phase 45, well, it's a phaser! ;)
    I'd like something that you could hear on Sgt. Pepper...

I was thinking about the Small Clone, alternatives? Not too expensive or exotic please...

2. kdc113

kdc113 Member

You need a Leslie Simulator. The cheap, Danelectro Rocky Road

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

BBE Soul Vibe? Not hard to find used for around $70-80.

4. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Thanks, but I'm not looking for a Leslie simulator: to me, the only way to get THAT sound is to play through a real Leslie, and one day I'll do it! ;)

I'm looking for a vintage sounding chorus or flanger pedal, more Pink Floyd, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, sixties stuff, that 60's\70's tape chorus\flanger tone, not the 80's version...

For example a DMM used as a chorus is closer to what I think, but it is my only delay pedal and I want to use it that way...

5. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

If you are looking for those authentic 60s tape flange sounds they don't come cheap because of the big processors needed.
    The 'through zero' effect is what you seek. I saved a while for a Mobius. Has a plethora of those vintage sounds in one pedal.

6. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Is it analog or digital? I strongly prefer simple analog circuits: they still sounds better to me...one day digital effects will be better than analog maybe, but not today...

7. dBRecords

dBRecords Member

I buy a Deco (in way) exactly for those 60´s tones.

8. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

A friend of mine has a Deco, and though it's quite good, I still hear a cold, pristine, sterile, digital sound: there's no analog pedal that provides that kind of tone?

9. dBRecords

dBRecords Member

A Moog Cluster Flux ?

10. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Thank you, very interesting!

Unfortunately it's very expensive and not "simple", although analog, but we are on the right track! ;)

There's nothing "similar" but simple and cheap? The EHX Small Clone, although limited, is nothing like the Moog or it has that vintage, analog vibe? Or is it more like a 80's chorus? Boss CE-2, Ibanez CS9...

11. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Perhaps a Flanger Hoax. It's analog. Has somewhat 60s flanging sounds plus a lot of cool weirdness.

12. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

Small clone is nothing like an 80 chorus. It's actually the only chorus I tried that I like.

13. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

So get a second DMM!

14. bratch

bratch Member

Don't get the small clone. It is the best 70s/80s chorus, but it can't do 60s.

What I use is: fulltone dejavibe or the ehx deluxe mistress.

The DV is a univibe clone, of course, and a few artists actually used 'vibes in the 60s. The DEM will allow you to either fake a tape flangey situation OR get a luscious faux-Leslie. Both fantastic pedals and not terribly expensive.

I also have the flanger hoax, which will technically achieve a "through zero" tape-flange effect, but it's much harder to dial in than a two- or three-knob job. You have to really commit to the weirdness if you go that route.

15. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Thank you guys, now I have clearer ideas...

I'll try a Small Clone just because it's really cheap and seems to be more 70's than 80's, but I think I would love the Electric Mistress and some sort of Univibe...anybody tried the EHX Good Vibes? It seems reasonably cheap...

16. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

As for someone claiming the Small Clone isn't 80's is dead wrong. It was introduced in 1979. I was around then and plenty of people were using it in the 80's.
    It doesn't really have a 60's sound. Nor 70's. Characteristics slightly.
    Some people think it sounds like a leslie or perhaps double tracking but in essence it's still a chorus pedal.
    Old organs used the term chorus for their leslie like spinning speakers.

17. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

For the record, I'm aware that Small Stone didn't come out till 79, but it still doesn't have the stereotypical 80's chorus sound. The sounds OP is looking for were a result of recording technique, not the guitar gear used.