60s or 50s MIM Strats...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mr.mattphisto, Jul 25, 2006.

1. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

I want to own a strat (again), but I don't know if I want to drop big $$ on one. Anyone have either one of these strats?

How are the necks? How is the finish? Over tone of the guitars? What mods did you make to them if any...

I am leaning towards the 60s but I have only played the 50s strat and it felt great. Really liked the soft V. I am thinking of changing the PUs and the bridge if I were to pick one up.

I am interested in what everyone thinks about these MIM strats. Pics if you got them :cool:

Seems like a great strat for the $$$.

Oh, and I did a search already, found a few good posts...just wanting a little more info.

Thanks for looking...

2. TS808

TS808 Member

I owned the 60's classic series. The necks on those guitars are great. I just prefer the flatter radius on the American series.

The stock pickups aren't too bad, but I replaced them with Texas Specials. Also got rid of the "vintage style" tremelo and got an American Vintage Trem.
    The die cast saddles on the vintage style have a tendency for the screws to strip, so at least get a set of vintage saddles.

Very good guitar though..had the 3-tone sunburst.

3. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Anyone else?

Thanks again!

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I played a 60s one... it was OK, but I think it just needed bigger strings to ring out right, the strings just seemed to be hanging on it and the guitar felt dead... maybe a setup problem. The neck seemed OK, too.

I played a G&L Legacy that was incredible and a Fender Knopfler sig. that was $100 more and not as nice...

5. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

get a JV sig strat. already has American vintage style hardware and alder body.

as many have posted, a great bang for the buck strat

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

60's Vintage Player Stratocaster - a real sleeper of the Fender line-up. I'm convinced Fender reeled them in because they made one give second thoughts to purchasing an American-made vintage reissue. I found mine on e(vil)Bay; it really kicks butt - great guitar for stupid-little cash

Peace,

jb

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Another vote for the Jimmie Vaughan model as the best current bang for the buck Strat. The 50's & 60's Strats aren't bad guitars but they cut a few corners with cheap electronics & small cast tremblock. The JV has the same hardware that's used on the AV Strats so nothing really needs replaced and it sounds decent right out of the box. However, as Strats go, you have to play a bunch to find the gems no matter which model you like.

8. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

play some and see, I loved my 50's strat but I like the neck on the 60's a little better. (i just like the rosewood board better)

I currently have a 50's reissue tele with a 60's reissue neck on it and it is one of the better teles I have played over the years, especially since it has been broken in and worn a little bit. The only thing I do not like about it is the finish is so thick on them.

9. frank62

frank62 Member

i believe that all mim strats now have the "proper" trem block, better electronics, frets, and so on. the classic series i have seen have all had vintage hardware. specs for the jv are the same other than tone wired to bridge pup and the tex mex pups.

10. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to see if I can play a few of the 60s MIM strats this week, and I will keep and eye out for a JV.

Thanks again! I read about the Trem, and I am glad to hear that Fender has changed it.

I had a Standard MIA strat that felt nice for a bit, but then progressively lost its feel and tone as it aged (odd). Took the thing to a few techs, and did really help....so I am a little reluctant to drop some cash on a Fender Strat. Sold it for my ASAT Special with I have a love/hate relationship with.

Thanks everyone.

11. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

mojo all day long

12. changeling

changeling Member

i think i heard the new mim guitars have medium frets and more resonant trem blocks...can anyone confirm this?

13. EXP

EXP Member

thats why i put an RS kit and Callaham bridge/tremblock in my 60's strat. just put a 12'' radius and 6100 Jumbo frets. has Van Zandt Vintage Plus pups. ive had this axe for years and its the only strat i have. it fits like a glove, seems very comfortable to me. since i only have one strat currently i thought id deck it out.

and if youre wondering '' why not just buy another strat?'':messedup , ive owned several and have tried at least 50 CS strats, vintage, MIA, MIJ, MIM,etc.this one just feels right and plays as well as some vintage strats ive played.

14. frank62

frank62 Member

again, all current mim strats have the full size trem block, better electronics, and frets. check the fender site.

15. EXP

EXP Member

mines an older one, plus it was put through alot abuse/years of gigging. the vintage style frets were toothpicks; no meat left. so i put 6100's and 12'' radius for less fretting out and easier bends.

16. frank62

frank62 Member

yes, one of mine as well. spent too much on the older one to get it right so to speak and now they come out with the new ones with all the right stuff. i am glad fender did this but wish it had been sooner. i sold the older model and bought two newer ones. 50s vintage player's strat and a 50s classic series.

17. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Ahh....so we have the 50s, 60s, and 70s strats...

And now the Classic "Player" 50s and 60s strat

Interesting.

18. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Another owner of the 50's classic here, and I love it. I HAD to have a Daphne blue strat and found this one on ebay for under $300 (the seller had it listed as a "StratAcaster", and bad spelling means nobody searching correctly will find it.) Anyway, I play it stock and it sounds like a strat. I had a pro setup done right away, and it's just been really solid and versatile. Someday, the pups will get swapped, and probably a Callaham block, but I'm in no hurry. The finish is thick, though...it came with a VERY cheap gigbag whose zipper broke the first time I took it out of the house. I was taking the bag out of my car when I suddenly saw a flash of Daphne blue on the church parking lot.:BITCH But, it came away with just a couple small dimples up where forearm wear would be on a nitro strat, so it's OK by me.

And as for the JV, as I understand, the necks are more of a V, similar to the 50s, so you might like them better than the obvious C of the 60s. Good luck.