• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

60's Pine Electronics Regal - Quick Help Needed

BustedWah

Hi everyone,

I need some quick advice. I love vintage amps and I have an opportunity to get this Pine Electronics Company 7 watt, 60's Regal amp. All I know about it is that it's all tube and made in Montreal. Anyone know if this amp can do anything cool?

Much appreciated,

Alex

BustedWah

Pine Electronics seems to be another name for Pepco. I've seen great reviews for old Pepco amps. Please help!

BustedWah

So from my understanding, the Pine Electronics Regal is the same amp (different name) as the Pepco Paul. Hope someone has experience with this amp! Thanks.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
If the tubes have unusual by todays standards like 50C5, 36 something or other etc. or add up to approaching 115, its a series heater amp. Do a little internet research as the amps can have a design hazard. An isolation transformer or watching out for what else you touch with one hand on the strings are probable considerations.

Series heater amps without an isolation transformer can have a "electrically hot or live" chassis depending on the orientation of the plug in the wall socket. Search terms like series heater, widowmaker, transformerless,acdc amplifier.

soldano16

If the tubes have unusual by todays standards like 50C5, 36 something or other etc. or add up to approaching 115, its a series heater amp. Do a little internet research as the amps can have a design hazard. An isolation transformer or watching out for what else you touch with one hand on the strings are probable considerations.

Series heater amps without an isolation transformer can have a "electrically hot or live" chassis depending on the orientation of the plug in the wall socket. Search terms like series heater, widowmaker, transformerless,acdc amplifier.
I bet he wasn't expecting that.

BustedWah

hehe, well I did see info about that. I was able to go through everything about these amps on the internet in about 20 minutes because there's barely anything. What has caught my eye though is that a guy who wrote a harmony central review for the Pepco Paul said that it's a bit bland at low volume but jacked it sounds a lot like Led Zeppelin II. If that's true... I'm willing to spend the small asking price even if the thing can cook eggs. What do you guys think? Too good to be true I guess?

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
I've got some series heater amps (Kay and Harmony) and have managed not to electrocute myself -that's the hazard, not shock but Death. However, I came up in the days of polarity switches and always was careful about what else I touched with my hands on a guitar string(touch includes bare feet on basement floors!). Quite frankly the above mentioned amps are junk and I never paid more than $20-30 bucks tops if that. They can be great fun for low volume distortion tones but I was to use them regularly I'd make sure there was an isolation transformer invoved. Also don't sit on a little Harmony amp ;). There is someone on this forum who has modded a Kay or Harmony in a safe cool way.

To quote one of my favorite liner notes: Be forewarned.

BustedWah

Alright, well if they're really that unsafe and it'll take some extra money to get a tech to make it safe, it's probably not worth it. I suppose that settles it even if it's disappointing :p

Thanks guys!

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Its always possible there is an isolation transformer in the amp...most series heater amps don't have one.

Trending Topics