60's plexi vs Aiken 50 watt Intruder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radialaced, May 20, 2006.

1. radialaced

radialaced Member

I played a 2000 R9 LP into a 69 100 watt plexi and a 71 cab with greenbacks a week ago and I'm going nuts. I can't get that sound out of my head.

60's plexi's are real expensive, so are the cabs. What are my options for a great substitute? The new 50 watt Aiken Intruder?

Thanks

2. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

I'm afraid that from what I hear, only a 100W plexi sounds like a 100W plexi. :(

I've honestly never played one. But I have played some 50W plexis, and the 30W and 18W Intruders sound very much like that to me. Haven't played a 50W Intruder, it may be even closer.

I own a 2000 R9, a '72 Marshall cab w/greenbacks, and an 18W Intruder. Not quite as "big" sounding as a 50W plexi, but it sounds and responds very plexi-like to me. Superb build quality and sane price. Beautiful cleans, great grind and depth, huuuuuge bottom end through the 4x12. And nobody calls the cops on me when I let rip. :D

The 50W Invader is a small box like the 18W, here's what my rig looks like, to give you an idea:

[​IMG]

3. radialaced

radialaced Member

Oh man, that is one cool rig. That Les Paul!!! Simply stunning! Have you gigged with it? I would imagine that it could sound massive yet not overbearing.

I just can't afford $4500 for an early plexi but I want that sound.

4. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

check out the Blankenship Variplex. It was clone from an incredible 68 Plexi of Dave Friendman's (rack systems). Roy Blankenship makes it. I played one today and was blown away. Just like a 68 plexi, plus it comes with a Variac so you can control the volume and keep the tone!

5. fatback

fatback Member

6. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

Thanks for the kind words on the R9. I've never gigged with it, but I would. I really just jam at home and with friends for fun, trying to get better. I'm a near-shameless gear hound, though.

I think a lot of the magic in the combination starts with just having a good Marshall 4x12. For grins I hooked up an old Deluxe Reverb to that 4x12, and it stopped sounding like a DR. It didn't sound like a plexi by a long shot, but it took on a much more Marshall-y vibe, clean and driven. Tweed-ish, maybe.

The thing that's so great about the Marshall/Les Paul team is that you can just plug in, and The Tone is right there, no fuss. Fiddling with knobs or adding pedals just gives you different colors of The Tone.

7. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I gigged with that R9 quite a few times. It has a nice woody and balanced tone, without being overly aggressive. Classic Les Paul, just like it looks.

JustAHack, nice photo of your rig. BTW, I found the hang tags for your guitar in some of my paperwork. PM me with your info if you'd like me to send them along.

8. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

Thanks Charlie, that's very gracious of you. I'll PM my info. I'm surprised you recognized it after so long, without the pickguard, and with the double-whites.

The guitar is still my pride and joy. I did swap out the original '57 Classics for WCR Goodwoods, which just preserved and enhanced the rich "bourbon and brisket" tone the guitar inherently has.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, and that y'all will indulge me just one more (recent) pic in natural light, with the pickguard back on. A more classic look:

[​IMG]

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

Personally I'd look hard at this one :

http://www.germinoamps.com/fillmoreclassic.htm

-----an excerpt----
    "The Fillmore Classic is an accurate replica of the 100 watt Super Lead originally made from late 1966 to around August 1967. Low filtering is used with initial power supply and screen filtering at 32uf each. The remaining stages of the amp each use 32uf.
    The Fillmore Classic circuit is carried over from the Monterey Classic and is derived from the JTM-45. This is the early plexi circuit and is voiced for a relatively flat frequency response with shared cathode preamp section, 56K slope resistor/250pf cap in the tone control section and .1uf output stage coupling caps.
    This is the early classic 100 watt EL-34 sound with great touch response and feel combined with full semi-crunchy to full crunch tones that are not overly saturated. For a live "Crossroads" or "Sunshine of you Love" tone this is the amp as long as you are willing to deal with the volume and air movement that go along with this splendid tone. The Fillmore could also be thought of as a 100 watt version of the Club 40 and would be equally content running at high volumes or as a foundation for pedals. "

10. straticus

straticus Member

There's also the Top Hat Emplexidor. Lots of killer plexi tones in that amp!

11. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I've owned a bunch of Aikens and a bunch of other boutique Marshalls. FWIW, the Aikens I owned just didn't "sing". They can crunch and grind with the best of the Marshalls I've had, but they would not do the wailing controlled harmonic feedback thing like a real Marshall for me no matter what I tried. Back when Ed Yoon was running Tone Merchants in Orange County, I used to quiz him on that point and he used to tell me "The Aikens just don't do that..." We could never figure it out. And unfortunately I could never get Randall himself to explain it either - although I tried on many occations. I moved on to Germino and Metropolous and haven't looked back since. If you want a real Marshall, then you should just get one. They are easy to work on and you can maintain them yourself with a few hours of homework and a soldering iron. Otherwise, I'd get a Germino or a Metro. They sound just like my old Marshalls anyway... A few sound even better than the real vintage ones I've had! Good luck........

12. ROKY

ROKY Member

I was going to mention Metropolous, also but was feeling lazy.

http://www.metroamp.com/

His 12000 series 'Marshall' looks especially cool .

13. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

+1 on the Germino

I have played a Metro 100watt kit owned and built by a friend. Actually got to A/B it with a 73 Marshall super lead. The metro was VERY good. I still liked the Marshall a tad better but I would have been happy with either of them. Could have been a voicing issue as the guy who owns the Metro like a lot of bass. NOTHING comes close to a 100 watter. It's just something about the amount of power gives you more touch response. Just makes it easy to push the air around I think! I also played a friends 100 watt Hiwatt clone also REALLY good. Maxed out it was 124db's at 6 feet away. The problem is that kind of volume is rarely if ever necessary. BUT WHAT A SOUND!!!!!!!

14. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I have a 50W Intruder on the way soon, the thing that sold me on that was not only Randall's courtesy, professionalism and extreme knowledge but his passion for the old Marshalls himself. I like the way he thinks of creating the old tones with modern building techniques, FX Loop, easily accessable bias points, plexi/ali switch (this indeed seems cool), and the master volume (I've heard nothing but good things about his MV control). The Blankenship Variplex does seem interesting as well, but it does not have any of the other features I would like to have. Anyway, all I can say now, the Intruder indeed looks good, but will it sound as good as it looks? I'll keep you posted.

15. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

16. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

So that is what that Avatar Premier Vintage looks like with an Aiken. I emailed Avatar about getting that cabinet made with cane grill cloth and gold piping but no go.

17. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

I know they catch a lot of flak for various reasons. 1959HW. Based on a '69 plexi. Mine sounds as good or better than the handful of the vintage marshalls I've been able to try/hear over the years.

18. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Shannon's my bandmate - his rig sounds like God. I love it -- and may well shoot him and take his amp.

19. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Voodoo Amps V-Plex. Besides Metro Amps, the only amp so far listed that is true to the '68 plexi. All the rest of these amps are someone's "take" on the design.

20. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

There are a lot of plexi clone/inspired/modified amps out there. If it was a 69 plexi you played, then I'm sure there is a builder out there whose inspiration/guide for their plexi build was a 1969 marshall.