60's strat upgrade

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by what?, Sep 9, 2006.

1. what?

what? Member

Hey guys I've got a 60's ri mexi strat and a MIJ 50's ri strat..

I've got a set of fralins 43 for the mex and fender fat 50's for the MIJ, havent drop em in yet. I just want to asl for opinions...

I'm looking to get an electronic upgrade kit from specialityguitars.com for the mex. and also callaham trem blocks for both guitars. Should I get just the trem blocks or does the bridge assembly kit make a world of difference?

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

check out the pre-wired harness' from acmeguitarworks.com too. they make great stuff....very clean and neat, top notch stuff...

3. what?

what? Member

I'd rather save a few bucks and wire everything myself. That idea is really cool though :) I thought it was a real pickguard..

any opinion on callaham trem block or bridge kit?

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

Do they sell just the block by itself?

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Yes, Callaham sells the block only if you wish - get the blocks.

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Cool. Can I assume they are a simple retrofit with no problems? Also, while on the subject of blocks, are the USA reissue blocks good ones, or cheaper than the originals were? Probably not worded right, but I hope you know what I mean. I have 2 USA reissues, and 2 MIJ reissues.

7. what?

what? Member

so the other components of the trem doesnt really matter? saddles, plate, etc

8. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I like the whole Callham unit much better than the original Fender bridge I replaced. Get the one with the pop-in tremolo arm(big improvement over the traditional screw in arms). The bridge is also less apt to break strings than the vintage Fenders. It's worth the extra $ to just pickup the whole Callham unit. It's best $110 I spent on my Strat :)

9. what?

what? Member

I dont use my trem arm at all. Would you say it improve the tone?if I would to get the trem unit I'd have to spend 220 for the two guitars :(

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

IMO, the Callaham trem units are of better overall quality than a stock Fender. FWIW, the saddles have longer slots so there's one less spot for the string to wear & eventually break, the saddle height screws are calibrated better and are stainless steel as are the intonation screws, and the pivot points are machined better.

As far as the block itself is concerned, the Callaham block's string slots are machined shallower and the additional metal seems to impart a more solid thump to the notes, at least to my ears. Of course, if your Strat has a pot metal tremblock you'd probably want to at least replace that anyway.

However, if you order the Callaham trem or block, many MIM Strats have a different string spacing than USA models so you have to make sure you order the right parts as both types are available.