60W+ tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jet Age Eric, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

It gets better: Under $1k, sonically in the Fender ballpark. Looking at a Traynor in the next couple days. Anything else spring to mind?

Background: I'm running a couple of ASAT Specs through a Musicman 65. The MM been's treating me well for years, but now that I've switched to Lava Cables and true bypassed pedals, the amp is starting to sound brittle and I think it's the solid-stat pre that's doing it. The same set up sounds great through my BF Vibrolux (stays at home), so I'm looking at the amp.

Thanks! -E

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

sounds kinda obvious, but how about a dual showman?? or any of the other higher wattage fender heads?? Also some of the 80s mesas get very fendery on the clean chan.

3. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Switch back to the old cables?

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I didn't realize a dual showman had that much wattage. Or master volume. I should've mentioned in the initial post that I ain't that bright. Thanks! -E

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Ha! I considered it, but the difference in tone when played through the Vibrolux means I can't go back to my previous serviceable-but-inferior set up. Having said that, until I find a solution, I can't rule it out. Thanks! -E

6. Ascension

Ascension Member

My Blond/Oxblood Super-Sonic head kinda fits the bill after I tubed it up and biased it!

7. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I've been eyeing that, too, but the price and SS logo (I can't help it) have made me reluctant. Good to know it's worth checking, though. Thanks! -E

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

[​IMG]

if that guy plays it, you know it can blow your head off at "3" on the dial.