1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

6120 and other hollowbody Gretsch players...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by exrunnerguitarist, May 23, 2011.

1. exrunnerguitarist

exrunnerguitarist Member

HELP! I have a Tennessee Rose (6119) and a Vox AC30 6/tb on the way (en route shipping). Currently playing through my Dad's Axe-Fx Ultra just as an amp as I sold my previous amp to finance the AC30. Can't seem to get much sustain out of my guitar. Running an AC30 patch with my pedalboard in front of it. Signal chain is Guitar>Tuner>Tube Screamer>RC Booster and then some delays although that is constantly changing as I have GAS like no other. I have tried to add a bit more drive on both the amp and with my pedals but it just muddies up my tone and I don't cut through as well. What else can I do? Clips would also be awesome so I can see what kind of tones I can get.

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Sounds like a number of things. Most common is that the action is too low. Try raising it a little and see if you get more sustain. What happens is that the strings hit the higher frets when played and that kills sustain. Not unique to Gretsches - happens on all guitars. A 6120 will not sustain like a Lers Paul, but it's pretty good! I once played a PRS with too low an action and it had no sustain either. Raised the action - voila! Sustain.

3. exrunnerguitarist

exrunnerguitarist Member

Thanks man! I'll have a luthier friend take a look at it.

4. Geosh

Geosh Member

You might switch the bridge too, if you still have the bar bridge. I put Compton bridges on all my Gretsch guitars and it really does make a big difference. I just put a stainless bridge on my 6119SP and it was a HUGE improvement!

5. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

A Compton or Tru Arc bridge will help you in the sustain department.

6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I agree with this. My SSLVO had the famous '12" radius bridge on a 9.5" radius neck' problem. A Compton or TruArc will fix that up. I bought both and actually prefer the Compton.

7. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

an axe fx isn't going to generate the resonance inside the guitar that a real amp will. I would hold off doing anything until you've got speakers pushing the sound waves inside your guitar. You may have unintended consequences if you do anything before that.