62 AC30 VS DC30 whadarekn????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheGigPig, Jun 28, 2008.

1. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Howdy folks

I have a lovely sounding 62 AC30 with an added EF86 input stage. It sounds great but there are a couple of things that concern me.

First of all its reliabilty. It's old and I play about 3 nights a week. Broke down on a gig last night so that sucks.
    And it's clean sound which is great, but sounds exactly a vox(if you know what I mean) . I do country stuff as well and I'm looking for something with less hair on it, bigger, cleaner, but can still rock out.

I have the opportunity to get a DC30. What's the difference? Who's had both? What are the cleans like on the DC compared to the Vox. How does it take pedals?And what's all this about flappy bottom end?
    I've always used amp combinations but I really want to try and find an amp that covers all the bases.
    Could a DC30 (HC30 + cab actualy) give me what I'm looking for?

Any links to sound files would be great.

Thanks for your help

2. studio8000

studio8000 Member

i also have a 62 AC30 (and a 64), and i've owned 2 C30 Matchless amps. they are totally different beasts.
    the C30 is a great sounding amp, it's just nothing like the Vox besides the fact that it uses the same type of power tubes.
    the C30 is much more "scooped" in the frequency range, and a bit more "hi-fi" sounding, or modern. Matchless has a lot of top end, it can get really bright. and yes, when you crank it up, the bass can sometimes get a little flubby. not necessarily in a bad way, it works for a lot of songs/sounds, but flubby nonetheless.

the Vox amps are much strong in the midrange frequencies (as you already know). and i find them to stay much tighter when cranked up.

are you looking for something that sounds similar to you Vox, or something totally different?

3. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

look at the bad cat black cat 30r. i preferred the sound of it to the dc-30. the bass on the bad cat isn't flubby like the dc-30 and it has great clean & overdrive sounds.

4. Wagster

Wagster Member

Have you tried a Dr. Z Stangray?It has more headroom than a AC30 and is based on a non top boost with a EF86.Are you looking for the TB or non TB tone?I just played a Stangray and it has a lot of headroom.I'm also country picker who plays AC30's so I know what you mean about the headroom issues.

5. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I owned a DC30 for quite a few years. I would strongly recommend looking into a Valvetech Hayseed...'63 circuit with an EF68 option should do the trick.

6. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Thanks guys. The thing about the Vox is that is sounds great in any situation, and the EF86 loves pedals. What i tend to do is split the signal at the input to my board, the direct goes into the top boost section, and the out from my pedals goes into the EF86 section. I mix a little bit of the clean unaffected top boost section in to my overall tone and there you go, sounds killer.
    So the amp would need to have the two inputs that you can use simultaneously like the DC30. I have a 65amps London and although it sounds fantastic, it doesn't have anywhere near enough headroom for me.
    I don't think the flabby bottom end thing is going to work for me. It needs to be at least as tight as the Vox in the bass.

7. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

The thing about the DC30 is that it has those 2 sections (an EF86 and ECC83) and I hear that they're reliable which is what I really need. It doesn't need to sound like the Vox, just a similar flavor which is what I find EL84's has.
    Thanks all for your input, it's invaluable,

8. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I LOVE the sound of the StangRay. Couldn't find any other info on the Hayseed but the BadCat looks to me like the most intruiging as it seems to tick all my boxes. The clip section on their site doesn't work but what is it like compared to the DC30? It can come with reverb which is really great so any experience with this amp?

9. bolero

bolero Member

I'd try to borrow/try one out if I were you...only way to know for sure!! there must be someone here close to your location?

I have a DC30 clone that had a bunch of work done to it, it compared very favourably to a friend's '65 AC30 when we did a shootout

another option is one of the AC30 CC2's, there's a guy named Lyle Caldwell who mods them to sound like the old ones. you can probably find them used pretty easy

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you don't really need the Vox sound, there're a ton of other amps out there you could look into. The DC30 is a great sounding amp, has significantly more clean overhead than the AC30 and also has that modern "thump" that comes from improved power supply filtering. I don't find the bass "flubby" for the stuff I play (classic rock, folk) until it's too damn loud anyway. The normal channel takes pedals better than the 12AX7 type of Vox. Downsides are that's its REALLY heavy and it like to be played really loud.

Other things you might look into: the Bruno UG30. Even less Voxlike, but has great bass, great clean overhead, loves pedals, still damn heavy! Something that might be interesting for you to try is the GT Soul-O 75. I have a Satellite (1 channel, simple EQ) that absolutely sounds great clean and loves pedals. It has all the bass you could ever ask for (and its for sale ;).

11. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I just sold my Bruno U30 (with reverb), a unique sounding amp. It requires some serious volume to get to the sweet spot. Incredible amp!

The Valvetech Hayseed 30 has a 1/2 power mode and PPIMV that work very well. But, it will sound like a truly inspired '63 TB circuit.

12. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I have a mate with a DC30 so I'll grab him and it and get to the studio and do some A/Bing between it and the Vox and make sure it's the one. Only thing is it's an older model, but as far as I understand the new ones are the same.
    I can head down to Oxford Guitar Gallery and check out a Bad Cat, and I'll start to look for the others, but you're absolutely right when you say I need to hear them and experience them myself.
    I guess when you get to this level of quality with amplifiers, fact is they're all going to sound great, they'll just have different flavors.
    Thanks again everyone for your input. I'll report back with my findings

13. studio8000

studio8000 Member

if you can, try out a Divided by 13 RSA31....
    you have the classic vox channel with Treb, Mid, Bass... plenty of headroom...
    and then you have the Pentode (5789/ef86) channel with the 6 way eq switch, which is much gainier.

great flexibility, and you can blend the two, or switch between them.

14. Richards

Richards Member

Well said studio8000, and now for the shameless plug: so come buy my Div by 13 RSA 31 GigPig!!!

15. proUK

proUK Member

Hi Daniel,

I have a Div/13 RSA 31 you can borrow and try if that would help??

In and out of UK on tour next few weeks and not using it, so could certainly let you have it.

Cheers

Matt