62 AVRI from 1989?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Probably_Not_Famous, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Probably_Not_Famous

Probably_Not_Famous Member

EDIT** So after digging a little more, I came across this site, www.fenderreissue.com, which has just about as much info on 62' reissues that you would need. So I was reading through their site and saw this:

http://www.fenderreissue.com/corona/1989-fender-62-reissue-stratocaster-0

it's the exact guitar I just posted about...The serial, the handwritten date on the neck and markings in the neck pocket and pickup cavities are identical. Just about all the verification I need.

HOW CRAZY IS THAT!!!

I recently came across this guitar and was hoping for a little help in identifying it's authenticity. I've attached some pics so hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. the neck has a penciled in date of 2-10-89, though it's pretty difficult to see. the downside of trying to authenticate this is that the serials for these guitars were stamped on the neck plate. Take a look and tell me what you guys think. Any indicators?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

That's a crazy coincidence..great looking guitar. Nothing looks off to me..You can't really see the body contours, but that'll be the dead giveaway on these early reissues. Also the white neck markers with the 7.25" radius are unique. I have an '83 and '84 62RI. I love them...seriously some of the best strats that I've ever played.

Edit: for clarity, check a few posts below. An '89 theoretically should not have the "fullerton" body contours.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Thanks for that site reference.
    I have an '88 black 62 AVRI that I'm going to be posting soon.
    Straight except for a pot or two, back of the neck finish removed from heel to nut. Will be priced accordingly when I get to it.

4. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

That is awesome. Great looking guitar you got there.

5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Only for the really early ones correct? I was under the assumption that once they moved production to the new factory they have been consistently the same. Only the Fullerton ones had different contours.

6. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

You could be right about that. I guess I assumed the process was the same on the Corona ones, but they very well may have changed with the factory move.

Edit...good call Johnny Alien, from the fender reissue site: "The early AVRI strat bodies produced at the Fullerton, CA plant (1982-1984) had many characteristic features from the later strat bodies produced at the Corona, CA plant (1985-present). Namely, the rear cutout on Fullerton era strats were deeper, longer, and had a more subtle transition into the rest of the body. This created a top edge of the body that was sleek and thin compared to the more squared top edge of later reissue strats. These sleek "Fullerton contours" were also found on the very first reissue strats to come out of the Corona plant. It is thought that the very first Corona factory reissue strats actually used bodies that were left over from the Fullerton factory and thus constructed on the old dies and machines as the earlier Fullerton reissues. From my experience, serial numbers in the low V020000's typically have these "Fullerton contours." It was not until serial numbers in the mid to high V020000's (early/mid 1987) that the contours changed on Corona factory produced guitars. These later reissues had an asymmetric rear cutout that had a sharper transition into the rest of the body."

So based on that, this wouldn't have the deep contours.

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

That's kind of the consensus - both on that Fender Reissues site and based on some observations by owners over on Strat-Talk (there have been several threads on the early Reissues over the last few years). Pretty much those "Fullerton contours" stopped by the middle of 1987 or so. Kind of the group thinking over there was that as Fender started also producing American Standard Strats in larger quantities (some of the very early American Standards come close to the Fullerton contours, but only the very earliest production) they had to bring on more personnel. The handful of people who came from Fullerton and were doing bodies in that late 1985 through end of 1986 time frame had either moved on or moved up to supervising others doing the work, so gradually the '75/'62 Reissue bodies began to be a bit less contoured (but more contoured than the typical American Standard body).