62 AVRI Hot Rod vs RW

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by masayako, Feb 19, 2009.

62 AVRI Hot Rod or Road Worn?

1. 62 AVRI Hot Rod (White)

2. Road Worn (White)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. masayako

masayako Member

62 AVRI Hot Rod or RW (white)?

2. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

3. masayako

masayako Member

I have huge GAS for one of these. Fellow owners, which one to buy? & Why?

I don't mind MIM vs MIA that much. Just want to age it & worn it in nicely. Nitro all the way. Serious response please. I am looking to buy between these 2 for the past 2 weeks. Every helpful opinions will help. Thanks alot.

4. omni

omni Member

I own both, for me it's the RW. For the price and the feel and tone of an old strat it's a no brainer. If you want a more modern strat with thicker finish the 62 HR is the way to go. The RW just has the tone and feel of an old friend. My .02

5. masayako

masayako Member

Omni,

62 Hot Rod got the thin skin nitro. Can you worn it out easy?
    I want to get my own scratch & dent through regular use.

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Having owned a '62 VHR for several months and having tried a RW on approval for a month, I like both guitars. But, in the end, the chunky neck of the '62 VHR tipped the scales so I decided to stay with it.

I really liked the worn in feel of the RW but its somewhat slender neck was cramp city the first time I gigged it for a few hours. The only other real complaint I had about the RW was that the fretwork was a little rough out of the box, but that was an easy fix. However, the '62 VHR did need a Don Mare pickup swap to bring out its best.

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I played a couple of Road Worns. They were nice.

I happen to think the '62 AVHR Strat is one of my favorite specs ever. It's so personal with Strats though; only you can decide.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Myself, I'd go for the hot rod. A used one will only be a few bucks more than a RW. Unless you prefer a thin neck like on the RW. Both have nice beefy frets, but I'd prefer the 9.5" fretboard radius of the hot rod as well.

The hot rod has a nice finish that will wear nice and look like a classic, and that appeals to me too, as well as a nicer bridge and tuners. The RW has a flat, primer style finish like on the highways. It even has that flat, primered look on the neck. That's cosmetics and totally subjective of course. It's up to you. They're both nice strats. I think the main determining factors would be neck size, radius and cost.

and of course, most important.. sound, if you can play both and compare. every strat is unique.

9. sqadan

sqadan Member

Hot Rod is the better value.... I have one of the limited run Thin Skin's which is pretty close - and it's a great guitar.

10. masayako

masayako Member

sqadan,

Any pictures?

BTW, at the end, I bought the 57 AVRI HR maple. :)

11. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Limited Run Thin Skins? I thought the hot rods were thin skins to being with?

12. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

So your the one! J/K to each his own, I actually really like the Road Worn, but would prefer the 62 Hot Rod.

13. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

What's the difference between my AV Thin Skin '59 and the Hot Rod?

I like the RW guitars, but IMO, the above Strat I picked up recently is in another league.

14. ktp_blues

ktp_blues Member

I sat at the store for 3 hours comparing both (I was in the same predicament as you were!) but ended up going with the RW. Sound wise, not TOO different. Playability wise? Radius on the RW was a lot more comfortable and the thicker neck on he AVRI Hot Rod didn't do it for me as they do for some many others.

At that time, I didn't feel that paying an extra 900 bucks was worth it for a guitar that had slightly better hardware and pickups when I would probably be changing them one day anyway. I ended up with the RW.