'62 AVRI Strat vs. '62 AVHRRI Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Matt-o-caster, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Matt-o-caster

Matt-o-caster Member

I sold my Strat years go for rent money and never had an interest in buying another one until recently. I NEED that beautiful Strat tone! I've had my eye on a '62 AVRI for some time but just recently heard about the AVHRRI model. What are the differences between these models? If you've owned both, did you prefer one over the other? If so, why?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Main difference, I believe, is the neck. The Hot Rod has a modern radius, whereas the Vintage RI has the period correct fingerboard radius.
    The HR neck is also fatter than the V RI.

3. Matt-o-caster

Matt-o-caster Member

Ok, thanks.

Hey on a related note, could a smaller neck radius (7.25") be the reason my AVRI Tele frets out so easily?

4. dazco

dazco Member

Yes, but with a good setup and some minor fret work you can get a 7.25" radius to have a ultra low action w/o fretting out. I did this to mine. Adjust the neck straight and radius the frets about about from the 10th fret on up so that they are flatter in the middle. Of course it must be a gradual transition, not right from the 10th fret. a good tech will understand. i do this myself and it takes all of 20 minutes. Both my 7.25 strats are done like this and both have actions as low as i've ever been able to get on any guitar including 12" radus guitars. The radius allows you to get the action low w/o fretting out up around the 12th and beyond where that starts to happen when the neck is adjusted with no relief. This way of setting up allows an action thats not only low but feels like there is very little difference from low to high frets as far as action height. So the action feels almost the same from the first frets to the last. If you like vintage tone, this IMO is the way to go on a rosewood board model because with a flatter radius on the HR there will be a thicker slab of rosewood which can change the sound quite a bit from a vintage neck. Not saying it absolutly will or that the change will be bad, just that the necks with thicker rosewood have been less desirable tonally to ME. And that if the tone right now is great for you i would cionsider this rather then get a new guitar.

5. Matt-o-caster

Matt-o-caster Member

Good to know, dazco! Thanks.