'62 Bassman - Smoking Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Dan Gardner, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Member

Literally.

Hi,

I've just picked up a vintage Bassman, but seem to be having some technical difficulties. After about a minute of being turned on, smoke starts coming from the chasis, and a popping noise can be heard. However, the amp still plays. I'm technically savy in general, but don't have much experience working on amps, so I'm hoping someone here can help me figure this out (and help me avoid electrocuting myself!). If anyone can help, please make some suggestions here.

Thanks!

Dan

2. brad347

brad347 Member

step #1... don't turn it on anymore!

I'll leave the rest to others!

3. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

If you are the least bit worried about electrocuting yourself, have little or no working knowledge of the insides of an amplifier chassis.....please take it to a tech ! There are lethal voltages (400+) inside that may be still there even after it's shut off for some time. Sounds like some component has failed and will need to be replaced and investigated as to why it failed in the first place . I'm guessing it's in the power supply (high voltage)and maybe not a good place for even a savvy newbie to start working on amps. Warnings aside, if you do open the chassis ,check everything with a DMM for voltage before touching, see if you can identify what burned and let us know. Please procede cautiously,if at all, and let us know how you make out.
    Dave C

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    To be brutally honest, the fact that the amp is smoking and you're asking advice means that you should have an experienced tube amp tech do the job.

5. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Member

Thanks for the info, to a tech we go.

Thanks again...

Dan

6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that something is wrong.

7. Thomas D

Thomas D Member

And I feel comfortable giving that a big +1.

Tube amplifiers don't work well when there is smoke coming out of them. You need to take it to a tech and have him put the smoke back inside and keep it there.

8. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Member

Ha ha ha guys, keep 'em coming. I'm just glad this amp didn't cost me anything (yet).:)

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    In that case, you'll be way ahead of the game even after the repair.

Regardless of anything, the amp needs a cap job if it hasn't had one in the last 15 years, and I'm betting that it hasn't.