$62, delivered to your door?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skydog, Feb 15, 2020.

1. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

This seems nuts to me. Tons of reviews on YT, most not bad.

2. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

Sure, if you don't already have a halfway decent guitar. But if you do, there's much less reason to accumulate crappy ones.

3. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

Wait. Let me back up and do this right.

I just got one of these things, and it's phenomenal. My buddy has a vintage Japanese Tokai, and he says this is the best guitar he's played, hands down, and he's played a lot of Strats. All you have to do is change the pickups, and this sounds better than anything the Fender Custom Shop makes at 100x the price. I was thinking of getting a set of ThroBak 64-MVX's, which are easily the best sounding Strat pickups on Youtube, but then I found these great Chinese pickups on eBay for $5 per set, and they sound at least twice as good as the ThroBak's once you swap out the magnets. This guitar is much beter than any of the junk that Fender is putting out. And at least I don't have to worry about the headstock snapping off like will inevitably happen to any Gibson.

Does that work?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Wolfboy1, Bertiman, Jonny G and 27 others like this.
  4. doc

doc Member

I'm sold! I'm ordering five at this price!

Seriously, I've got nothing against cheap Strat copies, as my pile of Peavey Raptors will attest. I agree that its kind of astounding that they can sell a serviceable guitar at this kind of price and make a profit somehow. For some of us though, its interesting but not something we need.

5. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

All that hyperbole aside, it's pretty amazing what you can get for so little these days. It probably reflects that value somewhat given how some more serious makers are building Asian guitars in the $400-700 range; it can't all be just in the name.

Anyhow if you are wanting to get somebody a first guitar gift on the cheap, this *might* be a good choice.

6. The Tone Ranger

The Tone Ranger Supporting Member

That's the problem with YT in general seems everything is positive.

Abram4235, Grun, NicDo and 2 others like this.
  7. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

..except for all the ridiculous ragging in the comments.

[PS, I don't see a pic in the O.P?]

Jon Silberman and FiestaRed like this.
  8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

We are in the bizarre age where you can get more for less than ever before, AND pay more for less than ever before.

9. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

The last thing any TGPer needs is another cheap guitar.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Member

"All you have to do is change the pickups" ... that's not what you need to do. Swap the pots, caps, switch and jack for the usual brands. Pickups are fine. Many in this category measure lower capacitance than the popular branded pickups, lower capacitance like hand wound boutique pickups (because they are quite likely hand wound). So focus on the pots and caps... for 1/10th the price of pickup swaps.

Glarry
    Firefly
    Harley Benton

All three have strong business models.

They are doing it by pulling out all the middle market businesses that double and redouble the prices along the way. Harley Benton cuts out the distributor but uses their sales channel. Firefly cuts out the distributor and the conventional retailer using just Amazon. Glarry cuts out everyone and sell direct from the factory through Amazon, paying a listing fee to access the worlds largest consumer database. And all three of them upgrade parts and build quality, "giving back" some of what could be short term profits for long term gain. They are making more money and supplying guitars at lower prices and higher quality than the traditional brands. More and more Asian factories will be running these three business models.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  11. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

@$62, you don't get pics!

12. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

LOL. I was almost with you all the way.

22Top and Cheddar Kung Pao like this.
  13. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

No pictures and no links. I don’t even know what we’re talking about.

14. Otter351

Otter351 Member

Don't forget to crank down the claw screws. Nothing discourages a new player more than having to tune and retune and retune

fretless likes this.
  15. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

^^^ Me too. No pic, no link.

honkeyjim, bluwoodsman and StummerJoe like this.
  16. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

With current UPS rates that's "pay for shipping and get a free guitar".

saltydogg, Vaifan, Abram4235 and 11 others like this.
  17. larry1096

larry1096 Member

I bought what appears to be an identical guitar without the 'Glary' brand; mine was $59 shipped via Amazon. I bought it as a 'test sled' for the pickups I'm trying to wind, and didn't want to keep tearing down my decent guitars.

Good-it included all the parts that make up a 'Strat.'
    Very light solid basswood body.
    Thick rosewood fretboard.
    Tuners actually work...

Bad-saddles were stripped from the factory, couldn't adjust saddle height.
    Fretwork was *beyond* bad. Took a complete level and dress to play decently.
    Neck pocked was apparently done by hand, with a chisel; the outline was clean, but the depth of the pocket was ragged and uneven, and required a wooden insert to actually hold the neck in a fairly consistent manner.
    Neck was a nice piece of maple, but the contours of the headstock weren't even sanded, but just as-sawn. They could actually cut a hand as delivered.

So new saddles, 4 hours of fretwork and fixing the neck pocket, and it's a passable, playable guitar. Not a waste, but certainly better to spend $80 more and get an SX or Xavier, and even better to find a used Squier.

Larry

Broken Diode, Sneaks, wvpv and 3 others like this.
  18. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

So the takeaway is that Larry would pass on the Glarry? NOTED!

In all seriousness, thanks for describing the work needed to make it passable.

wvpv, Abram4235 and larry1096 like this.
  19. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

20. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

I have the $59 doppelganger Grote from Amazon and agree with @larry1096 with regards to the fretwork. It'll make a nice weekend project (which I'll enjoy), but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to tinker. Yes, the burst may seem odd with its unevenness, but it grows on you...seriously:

[​IMG]

Ok, I'm lying. The unevenness of the burst is bothering me. Going to have to take some NyQuil to get to sleep.