62 Melody Rescue RestoMod Pic Heavy

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Papajuice, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Some of you may remember the 62 Melody Maker hubberjub had on TGP. Well I bought to play around with it and see what could become of it. When I got it it had a piece of plywood in the center of it. Also it had a 1/8 cut out like someone had tried to put binding on it along with a nice hole in the back. Also the neck had been stripped and the first fret was missing it's rosewood. So first up was removing the plywood and and smoothing down the the inside where a old growth mahogany block was installed. Now in the pictures it may not look tight but it was wedged in and glued. After that I decided to go on and mod it and save it back for my Grandson. So I routed the what would be the hole for the controls all the way out and make it a rear control. Then decided to mill down the .3 of inch off the top to level it where the binding edge had been cut. Next up I ordered a sinker flamed piece of redwood. I put this on the top and on the headstock. After the top was on and the headstock was done I managed to get an old piece of Brazilian Rosewood to make the first fret. I have spent the last week painting and getting everything the way I want it. So I got the color and the first coats of clear on it. Next up will be doing frets and putting the neck back on and the putting some final touch up. Then adding the P90's and bridge. Hopefully after playing it for awhile the sticking it a case for 5-6 years or until he's big enough to play it.

hubberjub likes this.
  2. erksin

erksin Member

Nice save, Grandpa!

Cornbread and LordByron like this.
  3. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

That's looking really good! Well done!

4. Kilaen

Kilaen Member

Wow, what a transformation!

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Good Lord.. for a garage luthier like myself, this is truly inspiring :bow

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Very inspiring work!

7. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

That looks great. I'm happy something is being done with it. I had bought it as a project, but quickly realized it was beyond my ability.

8. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Some of you guys are simply woodworking wizards. I'm envious.

9. drlucky

drlucky Member

Wow!! Nice work.

10. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

11. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Was it as much work as it seemed just by looking at it, or was the process pretty straightforward? Great work.

12. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

A lot of work but Pretty straight forward. Worse thing is all the sanding to get finish scratches out.

13. brain g

brain g Member

14. Franktone

Franktone Member

Beautiful work on that guitar.

15. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

If Gibson had put in half the materials, commitment, and care in the original build, a MM would not be the crap guitar that it is. (I realize some people like 'em. I have no idea why, other than a MM is better than no guitar at all.) You have taken junk and made it into a really beautiful, substantial guitar. Now that is a genuinely fine MM! Puts the stock pieces to shame. Very inspiring and interesting. Thanks for posting! Impressive.

16. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

What are you talking about??..I'm getting so tired of people just bashing Gibson and now you're going after the build quality of a 62 Kalamazoo Gibson?? Ugh..:facepalm

bigsby'd, Jayyj and Jaan like this.
  17. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

Amazing transformation! One question... I see the cavity where the plywood was removed and the new wood added, but I didn't see a picture of that cavity routed to have a nice flat bottom for the new wood to glue to. I assume that the cavity was routed flat prior to gluing in the new wood?

massacre likes this.