'62 RI "Thin Skin" on it's way

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clothwiring, Jun 5, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I ordered a '62 RI in Olympic White last Wednesday and I'm looking forward to it arriving tomorrow. I threw one of my EJs that's near mint on Ebay so that I can afford the '62 RI. Then I have to calm down for a bit guitar wise and start hacking at the payment on the 1966 Stratocaster.

Looking forward to her!

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've had mine for about a month and it is one of the most resonant Strats I've ever owned. Nice thump on the wound strings with just enough top end bite. However, I'm going to try a set of custom '64 Rolph pickups to see if I can take it over the top.

Love the vintage fretboard radius and the slightly oversized frets. Wish the neck was chunkier but it's ok. Can't wait to get it played-in more!!

Hope you enjoy yours too!!

3. clothwiring

I had the guy check over the Olympic White ones and pick out the best one for me. Also it's the lightest of the group they had left. I'm looking forward to it.

4. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

I purchased a TS Tele (slightly over 6lbs) and I am loving the guitar.
    As much as I love my AV57 Strat, I may sell her an go for a TS 57 Strat.

Outstanding guitars IMHO.

5. katarzis

katarzis Member

can someone please explain the story behind the Thin Skin series?
    is it custom shop?
    thanks.

6. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

It's a limited run of the American Vintage Series with a thin nitro finish (like the Eric Johnson models) and bigger frets. Fender had four dealers approach them, order 180 of the guitars, and allowed for the two mods to the standard line.

More dealers will be doing some similar type of limited runs on the standard production guitars. Basically, they're Custom Shop like guitars at an American Vintage prices.

7. Luke V

Luke V Member

I sent mine back, it was beautiful, oly white and weighed 7.6 lbs. It was heavier and didn't resonate as well as my EJ, what a shame. I think I am going to try another, but I am really loving my EJ.

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Too bad the TS didn't work out for you Luke :(. I tried an EJ Strat and liked what I heard but was having trouble adjusting to its 12" fretboard radius. Then the Thin Skin's appeared on the marketplace before the approval period ran out on my EJ....so I had a difficult decision to make as the TS seemed to have more of what I really wanted in a Strat. So I took a chance and sent the EJ back hoping the TS would be a better fit. Quite honestly, my TS'62 Strat is every bit as resonant as the EJ I tried and it feels much better in my hands. Maybe I got lucky with this particular TS'62 though....who knows? I only had the opportunity to try one TS'62....but Wildwood picked one from their stock that seemed to be the best fit for the tone I was seeking. And even though I think my TS needs a pickup swap to take it over the top, I think I hear something special in this Strat. Good luck if you decide to try another TS!!

9. clothwiring

Got my '62 RI TS yesterday. After setting it up and getting it closer to the action that I'll want in the end, it'll need a bit of break-in time. It's got that 60s quack that I was after to compliment the CAR EJ. I threw in the 5 way switch and experimented for a bit with the guitar. Gotta get it setup the more way I like it, but I think in time it'll be just right. The guitar is very resonant (right up there with my EJs) just with more of the 60s setup.

I'm looking forward to breaking the guitar in a bit more...the only thing I can really say was u-u-u-gly was the brown case! :) Yuk!

I think I'm going to dump a few more Strats. I'm going to keep my 1966, the Cunetto my CAR EJ and the new RI '62 TS Strat. Dump the 1987 Stratocaster Plus and the parts Stratocaster that I have. Both great guitars, but I don't really think they are needed anymore (and I have a few bills to pay). :)

10. lbw

lbw Member

Does anyone know if the thin-skins are made with a polyester undercoat or filler? That is, are they made the 'old way' or is it just nitro laquer shot ontop of a big plastic undercoat to avoid having to do the grain filling?

11. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I would just like to mention here that if any of you decide that your Oly White TS Strat isn't working out for you, I will be able to take it off your hands tomorrow.

12. devinb

devinb Member

A very good friend of mine was forced to sell a 1966 strat a couple years ago, and ended up trying out every strat in a well stocked store, and going with an EJ that he truly believes lives up to the '66 in every way. He says looking back on recordings of the two guitars, he can't really tell them apart.