'63 Bassman Tube help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 20forSeven, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

What tubes should I put in my '63 Bassman? JJ's, Groove Tubes, EH? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:BEER

2. Roe

Roe Member

tad 6l6gc or sed

3. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

A nice amp like that deserves a good set of tubes. Do yourself a favor and invest in a set of RCA blackplates (6L6GC). It's the tube most Fender fanatics prefer. Expensive for a like-new NOS set from a tube dealer. You can usually find bargains on ebay. They also last much longer than a set of current production tubes so the cost in the end isn't that much more.

4. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Sorry, but I don't understand is tad and sed brand names. I know the amp takes 6L6's and ecc83's. Could you please elaborate. Thanks.

5. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Where is a good place to buy nos tubes?

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Actually Svetlana 6L6s have given me good results.

7. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I have been using a ’66 Bassman for the about a year and I just got done re-tubing it and here’s what I tried. I used a Les Paul Standard and two custom 1x12 open backed cabs with Jensen C12N’s.

TAD 6L6GC-STR: Great tube, good power, nice all around tone. Balanced bass, mid and top end. These are the ones that I am using right now.

TAD 6L6WGC-STR: Low power tube, strong mid-range tone, I didn’t like the top end all that much nor the fact that it has so much mid range to it.

JJ / Tesla 6L6: Highest output tube I tried. To my ears it was a no-frills, cold tube that didn’t have great anything but was very loud and the top end was to brittle.

Tung-Sol 5881: Another low power tube, but no mid hump like the TAD WGC. I like the top end more on this tube then the TAD GC-STR but the bass is not as tight. My second favorite.

That’s my two-cent’s worth.

Steve

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Here is the TAD brand tube:
    http://www.thetubestore.com/tad6l6gc.html

Here is the SED band tube:
    http://www.thetubestore.com/6l6gc.html

...from what I know, SED is what Russian Svetlana tubes market themselves in the US since I believe EH or somebody bought the licensing for the "Svetlana" name in the US... they are also nicknamed "winged 'C'" for their logo...

9. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

What brand of preamp tubes would you reccomend?

10. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

I’m using SED 6L6’s in my ’64 Super and my ’63 Bassman clone. I like them a lot but I intend to try the TAD’s, which are getting great reviews.

Preamp tubes have as much (or more) influence on your sound as the power tubes. I’m using RCA 7025’s. These were factory issue on the early 60’s amps and I’ve never found anything better for vintage Fender amps. They are expensive and hard to find, but worth it. The Brimar CV4004 is also a good choice.

11. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I am running Groove tube Mullard re-issues (GT12AX7M) in V1, V2 and V3 and then a Groove tube GT12AT7 in V4. Some people don’t like to pay the higher price for Groove tubes but they seem to be the most consistent for me. I only recommend the Mullard re-issues in the older amps, not the new one either.

Steve

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
  13. macula56

macula56 Member

i've run a lot of different 6L6's in mine and i settled on the TAD 6L6GC-STR's. great tone and super reliability. the TAD 6L6WGC-STR's are cool as well.

14. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

On the power tubes, I would go with JJ 6L6's or Svetlana's. They seem to get the warmest tone with the most clean headroom. If you want to part with mucho $ then RCA or GE 6L6's are real nice. On the 12ax7's,RCA, and the 12at7, RCA,GE or I like a Raytheon 6201 as my 12at7 phase inverter tube (the one next to your power tubes). The 12at7's can still be found at a decent price. 12ax7's however can be a bit expensive. A friend has had good luck with the new JJ 803s. I have yet to try them but he seems to like the tone and the price is right. Email Bob at hhtp/www.eurotubes.com for JJ tubes, he's a big help.

15. MojoHand

The Fender schematic and layout drawing both list a 7025 (12AX7) as the phase inverter tube on the 6G6-B. Is there some reason for running a 12AT7 here? I know it’s “the usual” phase inverter tube for Fender amps, but not with this circuit according to the schematic…

16. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

For current production tubes, the Svetlana 6L6GC can't be beat,
    it does everything tonally an NOS 6L6GC can do.
    Its the only current production 6L6GC I'll use.

17. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

If the tube chart calls for a AX7 in the phase inverter socket, then use a AX7. My '66 calls for a AT7 and I was assuming that they had the same requirements. My mistake.

Steve

18. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Can I use 4 12ax7's or do I have to use an 12at7 for the phase inverter. My amp is either a '63 or a '64. Is their a benefit in using a different tube for the one closest to the power tubes?

19. MojoHand

It depends on which model Bassman you have. A '63 or '64 should be a blonde Bassman, otherwise known as model 6G6-B. This circuit used four 7025 tubes for the preamp and the phase inverter. 7025 is just another name for 12AX7.

In 1964 Fender changed the Bassman to the AA864 circuit. These amps used three 7025 preamp tubes and one 12AT7 phase inverter tube.

So the trick is to accurately identify your amp. I assume that you've narrowed it down to 63 / 64 via the EIA codes on the transformers. The acid test then is this: Does it have a Presence control? If so, it's a 6G6-B and you need four 12AX7 tubes. If it has no presence control, it's probably an AA864 and you need three 12AX7 tubes plus one 12AT7.

What color are the tolex, control panel, and knobs? Does it have a tube chart? (Do you want to sell it?:D)

20. RonnyLee

RonnyLee Member

I've been running Svetlana 6L6Gc's in mine. Sounds wonderful.