'63 Fender Brownface: any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by haslar, Sep 25, 2005.

1. haslar

haslar Member

Anyone has any first hand experience with brownface supers?

[​IMG]

This one is for sale overhere in France, the owner wants 1500 euros for it - I have no ideas if this is a decent deal or not. It's 100% original except for the usual maintenance stuff.

I can redirect anyone interest to the seller, if you wish.

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

How does it sound?

3. haslar

haslar Member

I have no idea how it sounds! That's why I asked my question in the first place.

4. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I'd love to have one!
    First thing I'd do is take it to my friend, Todd (Wakarusa Amp Guy) and have him sprinkle some magic dust on it! I think the vibrato has to be heard to be believed (when it's in working order).
    S.
    j

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I almost bought one of these recently. The one I tried was '62 or '63, all original electronics with replacement ceramic speakers (Jensens if I remember.) It had a hot, LOUD sound. The browns are pretty interesting hybrids. Normal channel has got some tweed in there. Vibrato channel is more BF sounding, with that amazing univibe tremelo in there as well. I was sorely tempted. That Super would be a great, versatile stage amp. I think it's way better with ceramic speakers. I had a tweed jones, so kept looking. Ended up with a Clark Tyger, so no regrets here. But had I the bucks, I'd go back and get that Super. I've played several brown face Fenders and that was #1.

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I used to own one of these !! I put Celestion Vintage 10s in it and it was a FANTASTIC sounding amp w/ a killer vibrato. I foolishy sold it about 5-6 years ago for $1200 US

These are GREAT amps !!

7. macula56

macula56 Silver Supporting Member

i worked on one recently and i loved the sound. way cooler than blackface.

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Brown Fender amps are my favorite of all Fenders for tone. But because they don't have reverb they are not valued as much as the blackface Fenders, that's good news for the buyer because you can usually get them for a decent price. Ten minutes ago I won an auction for a brown Concert on Ebay for $900 US dollars. This one is less expensive due to a lot of unoriginal stuff, but you get the idea. I much prefer the Concert over the Super, but the Super is a fantastic amp still.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

You're right: The brown Concert is really good too. There was one of those also at the place I tried out the brown Super. Also with ceramic speakers. Almost as light as a tweed 4x10, more SR sound in a way but actually not all that much. Had it's own thing. Very cool amp. The Super did it for me because it was putting around 40 watts into 2 10s. Less presence than the Super, but a hotter, spankier sound. Maybe even louder, certainly more portable. Totally fine amps, much undervalued. It's easy enough to buy a Holy Grail, but not that easy to find amps with so much tone and projection.

10. Reactionjackson

Reactionjackson Member

The Super is my pick of the batch (although, admitidly I haven't nearly come to playing them all) of the brownies. First off there are a number of changes, both in the circuit, layout, and cosmetically from 60 through 63. Obviously some will make much more of a difference while others are more subtle, but bear in mind there are variations.

The Super is fantastic - it is what morphed into the fabled BF Vibrolux (another of my fav's). Many like to say the Super is the smaller (more portable) brother to the Concert. But I've always reacted to both differently. If anything I might consider the Super to be the 1/2 brother of a Bassman (had one existed in the brown line). Specifics aside there are some generalities you can make about these guys - their bottom end is to die for! Aside from the usual mention of their killer vibrato they have a warm and round lucious tone that isn't exactly like the thinner and cleaner sound that the BFs are known for. I guess you really gotta try each one to see what suites your needs but the Super is the best my ears have heard (again my ears :D ). 1500 Eu would translate to what - 1750? That's about in ballpark (perhaps a little over, especially if you include shipping costs from France on something that heavy) so long as it really is original (transformers, caps, etc). Let us know how it goes!

11. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Brown Supers are great sounding amps, and if that one's all original it should be worth the $1500 Euro. The main thing that gets changed is speakers. Probably should be brown framed Oxford 5Kxxx at that time (Jensens were only in the first year or two of brown amps IIRC). Also, that one should have the 3 tube tremelo which is deeper and more reliable than the earlier 2 tube version.

13. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I have one in on repair right now. It is an early model with Jensens. It is quite possibly the best sounding Fender amp I have ever heard (but I haven't played a Concert). Very nice amp with a strange and complex tremolo circuit (but very good sounding). For an amp with 2 10s, it has a very present, but tight and focused bass response. This is a great amp and you should not pass it up if the price is right!