'63 SG special into Blockhead JTM-45 Head

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by jackaroo, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6882354

I did a small spot for a short movie the other night and looped it and jammed over it for a few minutes with a pretty special guitar- My '63 SG junior. I picked it up right here as a matter of fact...same goes for the amp. Blockheads take on the Marshall ca.1965 JTM 45. I learned about the Ho attenuator too here. So you guys are responsible to some degree for what went down. Thanks for all the great advice over the years and I hope you enjoy listening to this one as much as I enjoyed making it.

As always...your brother in tone,

Jack

Tracking rig for the backing track (used the strat for the other guitar)
    [​IMG]
    Solo done on this-
    [​IMG]

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Sounds killer Jack.:BEER

You neeed to stack that Pro or Twin or whatever it is on top of the 2290 though.

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Some cool phrasing there Jack on a nice brown tone .......... :boxer

4. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Andy...man that is funny. Thanks for that.

I'm just waiting to get everything together before I rack it up.

JD

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Man, that is great stuff!! Holy crap did I like that. Great pics as well. Gotta love the Pro Reverb you have as well!

6. kanderson

kanderson Member

man I love that Rare Earth tune! Great P90 tones and nice playing. I always love to hear your stuff Jack.

7. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Yep... it's a "sound a lot a like"! Not too much different there. A friend referenced the song and I just went off of memory. The riff is almost dead on. The whole spot in the film is like 5 seconds... kinda funny to work so hard for 5 seconds. So-

I just wanted to hear the SG through the "Marshall" over something. I've been focusing more on Hendrix/Strat sounds lately. So I took the spot, looped it, and it seemed like a cool 1 chord vamp to try some new ideas of mine...mixing diminished figures and dorian stuff along with the usual blues rock vibe. I liked the tone and figured I'd put it up here. Not too much response, so I guess it's still a little rusty/lumpy. I'm still working on the approach. Over the next few months I hope to have better command over some new lines and phrases. Perhaps get some more harmonic minor lines in there too?

I wanted to try to mix up more traditional Billy Gibbons chewy sounds and pentatonic stuff with some more outside sounds, open strings, repeating figures and motifs, lines and strage intervals...mixing the feel. Using G7 and Dminor "shapes" along with a few diminished ideas, repeated and inverted for tension over the static I chord thing. Perhaps it's best used in moderation. I've always been more of an inside guy harmonically...just trying to open up my ears without using anyone else's approach. Ironic that I'm doing that over a soundalike!

Work in progress.

Best,

J

8. kanderson

kanderson Member

^^ I don't find it rusty/lumpy by any means. The lead playing does have it's own thing going on while keeping that "old school" vibe going. I can hear a little Billy Gibbons in there, but it all still sounds like you. I'm very much into the Hendrix/strat/Marshall sounds as well as the 70's tones. Pure ear candy for me. Keep em' coming.
    BTW... what equipment/software do you use to record with? I really envy your production skills.

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I'm getting an error code.

Mike

10. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Jack,
    WoW, sounded great. Nice playing & tone. I enjoyed it - a lot.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Paul

11. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

That...was tastey. Nicely done!

12. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Kanderson- The track was done in Pro Tools HD. I use a AKG-414 into a Chandler Abbey Road edition mic pre and a LTD-2 compressor. Some nice stuff- basically it just gets out of the way and lets the sound come through. I don't use the EQ to tape generally...perhaps a little lo end roll off to keep it clean. A little compression sometimes 1-3 dB on peaks too.