1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

63 Vibroverb RI upgrade suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by talpa, Dec 11, 2005.

1. talpa

talpa Member

1st post thanks -

Have a stock '63 VVRI bought new in 1990, early serial #. Can I get some pro solutions on the best upgrades for:

speakers -

tubes -

OT/PT -

board mods or kits available -

any other variables -

Am thinking of adding a matching 1x15 bottom cab. This is a Strat amp.

Looking forward to participating here in the future.

Jim

2. Swarty

Swarty Member

Anything will beat those horrible gold things they call speakers. I recently serviced one that had Eminence Copperheads and was very impressed with the range of these speakers. As for tubes, I've installed JAN 6L6WGBs in a bunch of these with excellent results.

3. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Under "other variables," note that the VV (as with most of Fender's RI amps from the 90s) has a 1/2" baffle with 1/4" plywood surrounds holding it in place. The originals had 3/4" baffles, and yours can be retrofitted (recommended if you've begun to hear baffle rattle at higher volumes).

As to power tubes: do you want to maximize clean headroom or...? Also, how high do you typically run the volume? Very nice clean headroom can be had from new production Tesla/JJ 6L6-GCs and the price is right.

As to boards/kits: be careful, as properly re-wiring the bias leak to the VV's tremolo circuit so as to avoid overheating the power tubes is no job for neophytes.

4. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Your best bet is to sell it to a victim that wants it and get a vintage Fender. The VVRI is a problematic POS I see no way of making right.

Damned sorry for the negative report, but I gotta be honest...
    (The problems with this POS are so many that I can't go into them right now, but it ain't worth having!)

Damned Sorry you have it,
    Jon

5. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

I fully agree. Any Alnico 10'' by Weber, Tone Tubby or Jensen would probably work well. In addition, if the Reverb is too strong, the 12AT7 could be replaced with a 12AU7.