'64 Deluxe-recone or ??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tjw, Mar 15, 2008.

1. tjw

tjw Member

Hope this isn't an old thread, but I have a 64 Deluxe (all original, except for cap replacements) that has an original (I think) speaker that is getting thin and frail. Is it better to recone or just get a speaker replacement and if the latter, what would be a good replacement. Thanks, Tim

2. AndyT

AndyT Member

In my opinion, it's best to give the old speaker a rest, don't recone it and get a good replacement speaker. It will help the value later.

What type of music do you play?

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

It depends on what you want to do with the amp - how loud and often it's played, and if it's to be used on stage.

Andy is correct in that a 64 Deluxe is a very desirable vintage amp, which most would want to protect. Using a replacement speaker would allow you to keep the original in its vintage form. I believe the direct replacement would be a Jensen Alnico P12R.

Some people, however, think it's fine to recone an old speaker, which is similar to replacing the electrolytics when they go (a necessary repair).

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Actually the P12R is a replacement for a tweed Deluxe and it will blow in a blackface. Try a ceramic Silver Bell from Weber, 30 watt pre Rola doping. I have one (50 watt) in my Deluxe Reverb.

5. tjw

tjw Member

I currently (pun?) have a JBL D123 ('65ish) that my uncle gave me in the early seventies that I used in a SF twin for 12 years, blew 'em out, had them professionally reconed (orange county guys I think) and subsequently dropped two Kendrick Blackframes into the twin, leaving the JBL's in dry storage for the past 10 years. My amp guy said the JBL's would be clean but very "ice picky" in the Deluxe. I got the Deluxe for free from a friend who wanted it out of his garage (no reverb....). No Problem! Had it now for around 10 years--it's still perfect-cept for the tired speaker. A little flubby on the low stuff. Use it for Reggae and Jazz in smaller venues. Use the SF Twin for larger venues. Nice Ideas Guys!

6. tjw

tjw Member

Rola doping??? Sounds like my old Reggae days. For the record, I also snagged a '80's London Reverb (100w head and 212 cab) from the trash, had the head cleaned up for 80 bucks, and use it for a back up rig. I plugged the Deluxe into the 212 cab and it cranks nicely, although I'm not sure about OHM'age on either the cab or the output of the Deluxe. Just could'nt resist trying.