64 deluxe reverb

tbar

Member
Messages
193
i just recently sold off a bunch of gear , and i would like to rebuild my 64 deluxe reverb with the best sounding components available, tubes, caps, transformers etc.
can someone recommend a website to do some research and a place to purchase these items
thanks
 

aeolian

Member
Messages
6,290
The transformers I got from David Allen really made my DR sing. He doesn't specialize in these rebuilds but he does have some great parts.
 

KLB

Member
Messages
3,044
Originally posted by aeolian
The transformers I got from David Allen really made my DR sing. He doesn't specialize in these rebuilds but he does have some great parts.
Ditto!
 
Messages
728
Go to www.ampwares.com they literally wrote the book on
Fender amps. (The Fender Amp Field Guide) They are the most
gracious and helpful people and don't care if your making a
purchase or not. They have spent hours on the phone with
me and my techs in situations where there was no money
involved. They are happy to help and are the experts when
it comes to all things Fender.
 

RichSZ

Member
Messages
1,966
Originally posted by CliffC
Go to www.ampwares.com they literally wrote the book on
Fender amps. (The Fender Amp Field Guide) They are the most
gracious and helpful people and don't care if your making a
purchase or not. They have spent hours on the phone with
me and my techs in situations where there was no money
involved. They are happy to help and are the experts when
it comes to all things Fender.
Just an FYI, myself and many other folks have had some very bad dealings with ampwares, from not receiving items that were PAID for in full up front and no response to numerous emails, etc. Of course, be your own judge but don't say I didn't warn you.

-Rich
 
Messages
728
Sorry to hear that. My last dealings with them in terms of
purchasing were about 1 & 1/2 years ago and I never had a
problem. I have dealt with them as recently as 2 months ago
but they were just giving me info on tranny #s for 1963 parts
in an early '64 Deluxe. Again, no $$ in it for them but they took
the time, did the research and called me back on their dime to
give me the info.

I hate to hear that they have caused problems for anyone, but
if that is the case, then buyer beware.
 

tbar

Member
Messages
193
thanks for the respones guys , alot of helpful info.
ill let you know how is sounds once ive finished the project:D
 

fullerplast

Senior Member
Messages
6,781
Originally posted by tbar
i just recently sold off a bunch of gear , and i would like to rebuild my 64 deluxe reverb with the best sounding components available, tubes, caps, transformers etc.
can someone recommend a website to do some research and a place to purchase these items
thanks
tbar-

What exactly are you trying to rebuild? Is the amp working at all now, making noises, or what? A stock '64 DR is one of the finest sounding amps made within that genre of amp. I would suggest starting with a simple replacement of electrolytics, good tubes, and bias the power tubes. I don't see a need to replace the transformers at all, unless they have failed. If that doesn't do it for you, the next component with the biggest tonal impact is the speaker. Take it slow and don't try to do too many things at one time, especially circuit mods.

Money may or may not be an issue for you, but keep in mind that if that amp in particular is now stock and is working , it's value is as high as it will ever be IMHO.
 

tbar

Member
Messages
193
that is exactly what im going to do , change the speaker first listen to what is sounds like then caps listen to what it sounds like again then tubes , as far as the transformers i was going to do some research first to see if that would have a major impact on the amp , there is nothing wrong with them now.
i agree with you about the value on the amp , everything i take off the amp i will keep so that i can restore it back to its orginal state.
thanks for the advice
 

Seegs

Member
Messages
10,172
I have a 64 Deluxe...no reverb...after trying about 10 different spekers in this amp...I wound up with a Eminence Cannabis Rex and I couldn't be happier!!

Chow,
Seegs
 

tbar

Member
Messages
193
i am in the process of ordering that same speaker
after reading about it in some other posts on this site
thanks
 




Trending Topics

Top