'64 Fender Deluxe (non reverb) or '62 Fender Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brennanmcnally, Feb 14, 2015.

1. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally Member

It's amp time. I've yet to play through either of these (setting up appointments for this coming week), but there's a 1964 Deluxe Amp and a brown '62 Pro for sale locally, the Deluxe being $350 cheaper as far as asking prices are concerned. Does any one with experience of either or both amp have any pointers of things to look for, or what your preferences are? Not too sure on how each amp differs internally and tonally.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

They are pretty different. The Pro is a SS rectifier and middy and clean. Kinda surprised the Deluxe is cheaper actually but haven't looked at brown pros for a long time. The BF Deluxe is thicker sounding to me than a DR and pretty powerful for it's size... but you are kinda comparing apples and oranges....

3. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I'd go with the Pro in a heartbeat if it's in good condition.

4. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I owned a BF Deluxe, great amp. It breaks up, but it's that kind of fighting you type BF break up, and quite loud / late on the dial. It's a nice amp, I agree kind of 'thick' sounding for BF but without the huge bottom end of the 6L6s amps. I always jumpered channels on it. Not as hot as the DR. I actually would like to own another.

If I were in your shoes I might opt for the Pro as I have a preference for the Brown amps. Not as much sparkle but sit so so well in a mix, and break up (though it's going to be loud!) better than BF in my opinion. That said a 15" may be a bit of a turn off. Cleans not as complex as a BF.

5. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally Member

Great info all around — thanks guys!

The loudness of the Pro (40w into a 15") may not be ideal for me (live in an apartment, already annoy my neighbors enough with my 100w V-4B and Silvertone 1484).