'64 Harmony Bobkat Restoration, dot inlay? Dead stock/relic/aged?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by TheComaCalling, Jan 14, 2018 at 1:01 AM.

1. TheComaCalling

TheComaCalling Member

I cannot seem to find a good replacement dot fret-marker inlay for my Harmony Bobkat that was missing the 3rd fret marker upon purchase of the instrument. I've been restoring this guitar for the past month and ran into this problem of only finding really new and shiny replacement inlays that really look awful next to the old inlays that show years of age and almost yellowing due to environmental circumstances (the thing was covered in smoke residue when I first got it but new mother of pearl inlays still aren't even a close match).
    I've tried dying the plastic to match with coffee for days to zero success.
    Anyone know where to find vintage replacement inlays that are either dead stock or reliced? I'm looking for aged m.o.p. 7mm.
    Thanks in advance for any links, I've been searching the web for two days.

DBBlues likes this.
  2. TheComaCalling

TheComaCalling Member

Here is a picture of the inlays next to a brand new shiny mop inlay (that is too small, but still you get the point)... Not a good color match...

DBBlues likes this.
  3. Jayyj

Jayyj Member

It's not a repair I've had to do but I've done a bit of aging work to replacement parts and the key is to look at original examples (easy here as you have a bunch of them still on the fingerboard!), experiment on scrap first, be critical of the results and keep trying until it looks passable.

The only suggestion I can immediately think of would be to try spraying a dot with tinted lacquer and see if that gets you close - if so set the dot fractionally lower than flush with the board, spray the spot with lacquer to build up a few layers then sand (with a hard block so you don't end up dipping into the lower spot where the inlay is) until the lacquer is gone from the fingerboard and the dot plus lacquer is flush with the board. Again, test it out on a bit of scrap rosewood first.

Hopefully we have a few experts checking in here who will have solved this problem before - I'll tag @jumping@shadows as a starting point.

DBBlues and TheComaCalling like this.
  4. jumping@shadows

jumping@shadows Supporting Member

Thanks @Jayyj for tagging me.
    Those are celluloid inlays not MOP, and have a totally different look and chatoyance- Dave Johnson offers real celluloid dots (just like the Historic Makeovers Les Paul trap inlays), and they’ll be a far better match straight out of the gate.
    You can amber them with either UV or simply diluted leather dye ;)

DBBlues and Jayyj like this.
  5. TheComaCalling

TheComaCalling Member

Thanks so much for the clarification! Looks like Dave Johnson only offers 6.35mm mainly for the LP market I'm assuming. Rothko and Frost looks like they take orders for 7mm which is what I need. Thank you guys, I wish these were now readily available.

DBBlues likes this.
  6. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished guitar.

TheComaCalling likes this.
  7. TheComaCalling

TheComaCalling Member

Thanks man! Me too, .

DBBlues likes this.