'64 Melody Maker - any sense in restoring?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dougb415, Jan 31, 2008.

1. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I bought a beat-to-crap old MM around 10 years ago, and it's just been sitting in my studio. The finish was mostly sanded off of the body, it was covered in newspaper comics, the bridge was replaced, tuners are different, no P90, etc. Looks like somebody decided to be creative with it in the 80s.

The latest price guide says an excellent condition model would be worth around $900. It looks like utter poop and I'd like to restore it *if* it would be worthwhile.

Should I even bother?

2. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Make it play and rock out on it. Pretty guitars are for lawyers/doctors/dentists...etc..Unless of course you are a lawyer/doctor/dentist, then restore it.

3. Trout

Trout Member

Double cut or the single cut?

Trout

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Save your money and play it as is. Vintage purists will never be interested in a restored MM. A strat or tele on the other hand..................

5. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

I would rebuild not restore it. As an airbrush artist I would take the time and have some fun while getting the vibe of the original piece. Doing what would have been done if it was a custom shop order at the time.

6. rastus

rastus Member

Here is a 65 that was pretty beat, humbuckered, some replacement parts, but a SMOKIN' player. The market on one of these in mint condition is at best 1200 bucks, I would have had 500 into restoration, and it still would have been a restored MM worth about 8-900. I sold it as-is for 850. Play it and enjoy it, get creative, but unless you love it can't can't live with it being unrestored, it's just a hole to throw money down into.[​IMG]

7. dougb415

dougb415 Member

That pic does look nice, like a low-budget SG (duh!). That one looks like the color that mine should be. I might bring it to a local shop for an estimate for the electronics and will see about doing a refin myself *gulp*.

8. hacker

hacker Member

These guitars are great players, and the neck joint is actually more sturdy than an SG.

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Gratuitous posts like yours suggest insecurity and aggression. My sympathies.

10. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I didn't know how to answer, as I have pretty guitars *and* some workhorses... I play 'em all the same (hack away!)

11. rastus

rastus Member

Actually my Dentist plays an R7 through a Buddha amp. He rocks and keeps my smile bright! And I believe Jon was referring to sugarlou's post, not the original one. And don't worry, "hack away" is what I am referring to when I say phrases like "my style" or "how I phrase things". Heheh!

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

If'n it were me- I wouldn't so much "restore" it, but make it a dignified "player."

13. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    don't give up..,
    I have a 67 MM that began life as Pelham blue, was painted fluorescent pink, stripped, sanded, and shot with clear lacquer, then was broken over my head (headstock broken clean off, no pun intended), by some madman..."long story", and body broken with a forearm crutch (by a dear friend who was paralyzed) but after multiple loving repairs, is still one of my favorites! If the wood still speaks to you, who cares what she looks like. Seymour, Lollar, or Curt Novak makes some really great P-90's that will make the wood sing! And value is in your hands, and ears, not some appraisal!!

14. rastus

rastus Member

well said Randy!!

15. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I have a '61 and '63
    Absolutely great guitars.
    Personally I could not bond with the original pickups at all

A single will fit in there as well as a single sized 'bucker

[​IMG]