'64 strat pup rewind

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by zach5150, Feb 13, 2006.

1. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Hey Guys,
    A friend of mine and his dad are restoring his Dad's original '64 strat so they can sell it. It's got the orignal pups in it, but one's dead, so they need a rewind. I recommended Lindy Frahlin and Jason Lollar to him. He's already spoken w/ Lindy and there is about an 8 week wait for him. I dont know about Lollars wait time, but my friend is gonna call him too. There is another great guy in town named Jon Besent who rewinds pups, repairs and restores vintage fenders and builds Austone pedals. John is a super great guy, but I dont have any experience w/ his pup rewinding...although, I'm sure it would be excellent based on everything else he does. Time is a factor because they would like to get the guitar ready for sale by Mid March for the SXSW music festival that happens here in town. He would like to go w/ Lindy, but time may not permit....he's not decided yet what to do....but, any suggestions here about rewinders who could be trusted to do a '64 right would be appreciated.

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

What makes you say it needs a rewind? If there is a break in the wire, it is probably very close to the surface, which means you'll only have to remove a few wraps, and then reconnect. I've done this, and it is very easy. If you really do need a rewind, then it won't hurt to try this.

3. jetlag

jetlag Member

I think Jim Rolph is your best bet. Looks like his website is down.

J. M. Rolph Pickups and Rewinding Service P. O. Box 259 Melbourne, KY 41059 I think he runs a consistent add in VG magazine. Very talented guy for vintage rewinds. Lollar wasn't a bad choice either. I had fralin rewind a couple '59 pickups and wasn't that happy with them. When I get off my ass, they are going to Jim.[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA, VERDANA]
    [/FONT]

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

+1. Try this before deciding the pickup needs a rewind. I've saved dozens of damaged pickups like this, including a few original pre-CBS Fenders - probably more than half of the damaged pickups I've come across. You can take off quite a lot of turns (probably up to at least a hundred) without noticing any significant change in tone or output - and then it is still an original pickup, not a rewind. If you're very careful how you store the loose wire, you can even unwind until you reach the break, solder the ends togther and put the wire back on.

There is a chance it's failed right on the innermost layer too, especially if the pickup has got damp (causing corrosion at the points it touches the magnets, since air can get in through the holes in the center of the top and bottom plates) or if someone has tried to adjust the polepiece heights - but don't assume so until you know for sure!

5. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Hey Jim/John...thanks for the suggestions....I guess your right...since it's dead anyway, it cant cause any damage to try....

6. EBGB

EBGB Member

What are they asking for it? How long have they owned it?

I might be interested.
    mail@ethanfiks.com

Avoid rewinds if at all possible.

7. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

EBGB,
    I forwarded this thread to my buddy that owns the guitar...i'll be sure to point out that he should email you..

8. EBGB

EBGB Member

Thanks. Which pickup was in question? What other restoring does the guitar need? Sometimes everyone can do well by cutting out the middleman (a dealer).