'64 Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by plato67, Feb 17, 2008.

1. plato67

plato67 Member

Whoa. Just played one. I played a '64 (actually the same colour) once when I was 15 and didn't know what the hell I was doing. Now I'm 41, still don't know much, except that this was the nicest guitar I've ever played.

It's a refin, a refret, and the body's beat; original pu's. The neck is heaven. He wants 10k for it.

Whaddya think?

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I have yet to play a modern Strat that I consider to be tonally equal to or better than the old '64 I once owned, I don't think ANY Strat is worth $10k. But, when it comes down to it, I guess something is worth what someone is willing to pay ;).

jiml and massacre like this.
  3. Brock

Brock Member

A mint one is worth way more. So if you can confirm what color it originally was then it might be worth it.

4. ssimon64

ssimon64 Member

I had a roomate a few years back who had a 63. all original, sunburst, played perfect. got it stolen, insurance co. gave him 7k for it. this was in 2001. They're worth more now... 10k for a refin seems like alot. But I dunno, the prices have gone up quite a bit in the past few years. And it has the original pickups. Could be worth it.

5. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

I think 10K is too much. A 64 refin provided you can verify that there is no routing etc under the refin, and can verify that all parts are original should be worth about $8k to $8.5k

6. hogy

hogy Member

That's not how that works. Once it's refinished it doesn't matter what the original color was. It's gone.

10k does seem high for a refin, but (mid to late) '64 Strats can be quite magical quite consistently. If it's The One, it might be worth it to you.

theon and massacre like this.
  7. Brock

Brock Member

Its a general rule that a refin is worth half. So what 64' strat do you base your value on? In 1964 there were common colors worth from $30,000 to $40,000, rare colors worth $40,000 to $45,000, sunburst with speghetti logo worth $22,000 to $31,000 and sunburst with transition logo worth $21,000 to $27,000. So $10,000 is a good price according to the vintage price guide.

8. hogy

hogy Member

I'm not going to argue with you. Trust me on this or don't.

Once the original color is gone it no longer matters what it was.

The logo, pickguard, fingerboard dots, pickup color all transitioned in '64. You have to compare like to like. Refinished guitars are tough sales, because once the original finish has been redone there is essentially no way to even tell if it's a genuine body anymore. Many people today know about all the tooling marks, nail holes, markings, stamps, etc. The best you'll get even with a professional appraisal on a refinished guitar is "consistent with".

Refinished guitars are dead for collectors. They're strictly player grade instruments.

slowerhand, gkoelling and massacre like this.
  9. eric-d

eric-d Member

Pictures!!!! :d

10. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

I hope this seems just as sill yo some of you as it does to me!
    I will never get the collectors market.

11. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Agree with hogy on this. Before all of the very good fakes, a refin was priced at about half of an original finish. While you could still argue for this, a non-original finish is difficult to verify originality these days.

This puts heavily modded guitars in a strange position. The are not really collectible anymore, but they are also beyond the reach of most players. They are in a "no man's land" of sorts.

I have an original finish 66 with an added mini switch on the pg and replaced volume pot and saddles. The tuners were once changed to schallers but now are back to original. Otherwise all original. Great guitar. But now that I'm offering it for sale, even these minor mods are getting grief from potential buyers. And that's with original finish. I can't imagine paying that much for a refin.

12. Izy

Izy Member

10K for a refinished strat??

No way, I'll get myself something new and just as nice.

A D'pergo comes to mind. If not a Tyler.

Then i'll use the rest of the 10K for a killer amp.

Once tats done, i probably should get down to some real practice.

13. hogy

hogy Member

There's really nothing to "get". It's just a fact. Originality is everything.

14. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

The comments about the effect of refins are valid. Having said that refins which are verifiable as original do sell. They meet a segment of the market that think the reliced masterbuilt strat is a load of crap and a fraud. They provide an option to obtain a genuine instrument with many honest miles on it, rather than a faux vintage guitar.

I think a reliced strat is far more ridiculous than a refin. I can't think of any area of collectibles where a faux item is more desirable than the real thing. Refins simply affect price, as does any non original mod. They are simply the most risky mod, as they can't be reversed and can raise questions over authenticity.

As George Gruhn said when he appraised my mindblowing 63 strat that RS refinished for me in sonic blue: "Refins provide players with the opportunity to play an instrument with all the sound and features of the totally original model, at a fraction of the cost"

I think, provided the body can be authenticated, refins will be move in line with the market like anything else. In a slow market they will go down and in a strong market up.

The 64 refinished, provided the body can be authenticated, and is all original is worth 8 to 8.5. That is what they sell for on ebay. Dealer prices are 10 to 12 (negotiable)

15. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

50% off for a refin *used* to be the rule of thumb, but I see a lot of sellers trying to push that envelope lately. If everything else is right on that guitar, $10k is a *good* price. And in two years, you won't be able to touch one for that.

/rick

16. hogy

hogy Member

That's hard to say. Tell it to those guys who paid $15k for '50s Juniors two years ago. Those are back down to about half of that. Vintage Strats today are also not bringing what they brought two years ago.

I'm not saying the market will crash, but with the economic outlook being what it is, I don't see the crazy appreciation of the last few years continuing, at least not short term.

17. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

I agree Hogy,

It is a good time to buy. However it will not be until there is a fair slab of baby boomers who are retired that we will see some serious appreciation of prices.

The first of the boomers are retiring now. They will play golf, etc but some will become guitar collectors as they try to recapture their youth. This is 5 years away.

18. rastus

rastus Member

Right now the market is soft on "issues" guitars. If the guitar had EVERY original part as well as an EXCELLENT refin and pro refret to ORIGINAL spec wire, I'd not give 10k for it unless it was so good I lost sleep over it. I have turned down half a dozen refin/refret/minor changed parts 60's Strats for 5-6 grand in the last couple months. Unless a guitar is dead original, or can be put that way with very little effort, the market right now is terrible.
    Hell, I've got 100% original KILLER Strats right now that I can't get sold, and I'm WAY below market on these things. So, back off the market. Same with the 2 refin/ changed parts Strats I already have. I can't get a fair price without a ton of hassle in a down market, so I'll just do what I learned to do in the 80's and 90's: Put em up, sell my more recent/utility stuff and enjoy that, Let the vintage stuff rest. Believe me a lot of guys are pulling guiytars off the market right now, knowing that by doing so, they are creating demand. I just had a SWEET 62 Oly White Strat up in the Emporium for 36,500.00, dirt cheap for that guitar. No takers, so back in the closet-Next time she gets out, it'll be when they are bringing 50K again. In fact if I had spare cash right now, I'd pay the 50k for Ulysses 55 Strat and put it up too. That guitar will be 100k in 3 or so years. Hell, Clean original Blackguards are getting 80-90K now.

As for refins-it's a bad time to sell, a good time to buy.

19. rastus

rastus Member

Oh, and if you don't "get" the vintage collectible guitar market, there's no shame in that. But, understand that it's about collecting and preserving rare pieces that will never be made again, same with any "collectibles" market. I really enjoy giving a good player a killer deal on a refin "player" grade axe from the golden era. Nothing like a fellow focused on his playing getting his hands on a great old guitar and letting it's voice be heard. Sometimes you can wind up paying more than market for a guitar, but if it's unique and makes you happy to hold it and play it, then it becomes a matter of not only money, but also of what makes you enjoy playing music.

gkoelling and massacre like this.
  20. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Two years ago there was a crazy spike; right before that, clean Juniors were $3-4k.

Let's meet back at this thread in two years; if $10k doesn't look like a steal for that '64 by then, I'll buy the beer.

:BEER