65 Amp owners, a couple questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eric102673, Jun 27, 2005.

1. eric102673

eric102673 Member

OK folks, I've seen and followed many of the threads since I ordered my amp late in Jan. but now that my months of waiting are pretty much over and my amp will finally be here this week, I want to pick your brains.

Tubes: What are you using and why?
    NOS?
    Happy with the supplied tubes?
    If you've tried different tubes, what were your results. I know nothing can replace hearing stuff for yourself, but with NOS tubes getting higher and higher in price, I'd rather not splurge on something that isn't going to help in the end or takes the amp in the wrong direction.
    I plan on playing it as-is for a while to get my head around it and get familiar with what it can do, but any info folks have, any helpful hints or tips for anything about the amp that you've learned would be welcome here.

Speakers: I've got the 65 cab coming as well. I've also got a few cabs around the house. I'm itching to try it through some Scumbacks based off the sound samples I was digging. Wondering if anywone's tried the 65 with a 410, a 112 and the like?

You know, this is the obligatory I'm-excited-my-new-amp-is-coming-and-to-fill-the-time-I-want-to-hear-all-about-it thread :D Any anecdotal stories you'd like to share will help pass the time.

Thanks fellas,
    -e.

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I've had mine for a month and a half - the stock EL-84s are good - I'll be swapping them with Ei EL-84s when the time comes.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the speakers in the 65Amps cabinet - I'm running mine through a Bruno cabinet with a Weber C1230 and a Weber Blue Dog and it sounds great! Before I got the Webers, I ran it through a Genz Benz gFlex 212 cabinet and the amp didn't sound as good - choice of speakers is a key element in the full enjoyment of the amp - the 65Amps cabinet is loaded with speakers with that in mind.

You'll love it - good luck!

3. Shane S

Shane S Member

I got my 65 London on Saturday. I have played it for about three hours and so far the amp kicks a$$. I am using the stock tubes and very happy so far. I have the 65 cab with Blue Bell and G12H combo in the speaker cab. While I have not had a chance to play the amp through different speakers. I believe that they vocied the amp around the Vox/G12H.

Enjoy your new London:dude

4. studio8000

studio8000 Supporting Member

i like the stock tubes in mine. i dont even know what they are. since they sounded good from the getgo, i never bothered opening the back up to look.

speakers and cab wise, i really like the London cab. it's a great big, open sounding cab. and the speaker combo of celestion blue and g12h30 keeps things nice and tight, while have a smooth, balanced tone.

in my second london cab i have a g12h30 and a weber bluedog. the weber is a warmer sounding speaker, not as much chimey high's. it's a good sound. but i think i'm liking the way it sounds better with the celestion. but thats just me. in other settings, the weber or tone tubby might be better. but i'm diggin the celesion blue/g12h30 combo.

5. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Well I've been semailing Dan B. about other info and decided to pick his brain a little about tubes and some other stuff. He mentioned being cool with me sharing his email with folks, so it seemed a waste to not post a good chunk of it here. Enjoy:

-e.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Glad for this post, my head should be here in about a week. I have a Bruno cab with a Blue and GH12-30 so I'm hoping this is the ticket!:)

7. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat w/ questions concerning the 65 amp. I'm debating whether I should pick up another cab and load it w/ a blue and G12H30 like the London cabs, but would want your opinions with other cabs. Anybody have an extra blue they would want to part with??

I had the same questions w/ the tubes before and talked to Dan about some NOS ones as well as some production tubes. I then called kcanostubes.com and discussed other options w/ the EF86 tube. I was looking for a Genalex one. Anybody have any experience with the GEC EF86?

Does anybody have some other cabs that they have tried with this head? THD? Avatar? Bob Burt? Swanson? Bruno, etc... the list goes on.

anybody have suggestions for a footswith for the boost / trem?

Pedals that work well with the amp?

Reverb pedals???

I know this is a lot of stuff to cover, but i'd think that new london users would very much appreciate any input given in these areas. (including myself)

Thanks to everyone and their responses already!!!

8. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

I have a Z Best 2x12 ported cab with 2 vintage G12H30 55Hz speakers. These speakers are kinda bright in this cab, so I also have Weber Beamblockers in front of them, and I replaced the Dr. Z grille cloth with Marshall basketweave. It's one fine sounding closed back cab, and the 65-London head sounds very good through it. The 65 extension cab is a different sound, as is the 65-London combo cab. All good, IMHO. The right combination of speakers and cab really enhances the performance of the 65-London. For a quieter, smaller sound, I also play it through a v-front 2x10 cab with vintage Celestion Greenback 10" speakers. YMMV.

9. Swampash

Swampash Member

I've posted this elsewhere, but here goes again:

I have the combo. The stock speakers are great; but I tried replacing the G12H30 with a Scumbag SA-12H-55hz, and that really works for me. It tightened the bass up considerably (remember, it's a combo), and added a "vintage smoothness" to the mids that gave the 12AX7 channel much more character, and made the "color channel" more colorful...YMMV.

I've recently picked-up a Tone-Tools 1x12 which will have a Scumbag SA-12M-75hz speaker, when Jim gets them in and ships them. My goal, with this cabinet, is to make the amp "get dirty" at a lower volume, and get some of those old pre-rola greenback tones in addition. I'll likely use this cab separately from the stock speaker configuration...but it may blend nicely with the other speakers too.

Incidentally, Dan Boul participated in Scumbag's speaker comparison recently. He may chime-in on his experience with those...or, not wanting to seem partial, he may not.

The amp comes with a footswitch for the trem and boost, so there's no need for anything there.

In order to do channel switching, you need an A/B/Y that can invert the phase to one of the channels when you use the "Y" position. 65 Amps recommends the Framptone switcher. I use the Radial "Switchbone", and think it's a very well made, quiet, versitle (with the configurable clean boost), and transparent...it even has the ability to change the input "loading" to compensate for your guitar's pickup configuration.

For delay, I'm using the Line 6 DL-4, which suits me fine.

I'd caution that any pedals you choose, need to be very quiet. The amp is so noise-free, that [in my experience] any additional noise really stands out, and subtracts rather than adds.

10. studio8000

i recently picked up a scumbag sa12h30 55 and put it in a Divided by 13 cab with a Celestion blue. and it sounded good... but honestly, i actually liked my stock Celestion G12h30 a little better. dunno, maybe the scumbag need to be broken in. it does tighten the bass up, but i kinda liked the way the bass was with the Celestion. but, i'm using an extension cab, i'm sure it sounds and responds a little different with the combo. plus, the extension cabs have a ported back, not fully open like the combo. so the London extension cabs sound huge, and i like that.

i have a Framptone amp switcher and it's great. works perfect. and i agree with the noise topic. the 65amp is really quiet. so you can really tell when you introduce a noisy pedal in front of it.

11. Swampash

Swampash Member

I should have mentioned that I'm using single coil guitars, in addition to the "YMMV" disclaimer, as I think that if I were using humbuckers, my ears might prefer a 75hz cone instead.....but in any event, the speakers and cab do make a difference, and experimenting is the only way to find YOUR sound.

12. DanBoul

DanBoul Member

Hey guys!

The nature of a lower powered amp is that it can't muscle the speakers around too much, so the amp will sound very different through each speaker and each cab.

Robal hit on a good point here, we're using 2 very high SPL speakers in the London Cabs (open and ported), but if you'd like to change the character of the amp, try lower SPL speakers like Greenbacks or 10's.

The speaker combination that we default to (G12H30 and Alnico Blue) are what we consider to be the most versatile. It appeals to Vox lovers (like me) and Marshall lovers (like Peter). That combination stradles the fence very well. If you're a Marshall guy, load up with Ceramic Celestions and if you're a Vox nut, try 2 Alnicos. You will hear quite a difference.

Robal's 2x10 config is also very house friendly. Keeps the wife from complaining too much at my house. It's a like an instant attenuator.

We're building 2x10 cabs in prototype right now and we should have some for sale soon. But if you have one already, try it . . . it's a very interesting experiment.

I hate to make too many recommedations about speakers because everyone's tastes and ear are different. But the Celestions work great and I have to admit, I was very impressed with some of the Scumbags and I think you couldn't go wrong with those. In person they were dead-on with some of the old ones. I orderded a couple.

I also have a Red Fang that's great and I have a cabinet with Tone Tubbies (ceramic and alnico) that I like as well.

Try a few out and come to your own conclusions of course. If it sounds good to you, then it's good! :) The point here is that with a low powered amp, speakers can make a larger difference than with high powered amps that can dominate the speaker.

All the best guys!!

Dan

13. studio8000

speaking of high powered vs. low powered i got to hear the prototype/inspiration amp that dan is working on right now that will be the next amp in the line after the 36watt Marquee (which i also anxiously await)... it's a 50 watt monster. dan plugged that bad boy in and it was pure rock n roll, shake the ground, wake the neighbors, LOUD amp! sweet amp for sure!

14. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    You guys can call me crazy but I have tried my London through the stock cab(which I returned), my '62 Vox combo, Bog 4 x 12 with Vintage 30's and G12H30's. It sounded the best through my '62 Vox combo with original blues but all amps sound best through that. What really surprised me is my next favorite setup which I use since I like each amp to have a dedicated cab is my Diezel 2 x 12 loaded with 2 Vintage 30's. I know it sounds wierd because most people think that Vintage 30's are too bright but with my London it is the perfect match.

My London 65 is my all time favorite lower wattage crunch amp. My '62 Vox edges it out a for all around tone but the London gets more playing time because the volume is way more easy on the ears.

Chuck

15. studio8000

procos, i bet that thing rocks with the original blues in that old cab. i tried two newer blues, and it sounded good cranked.. but clean was a little to bright for me. but i dont think my speakers were broken in very well at that point. definitely not as broken in as the ones in your '62!!!
    but i hear ya on the London being your favorite low wattage amp. for my voxy, marshally moods, it's definitely my favorite. i just sold another amp that was my favorite for that sound for a long time. i must definitely try out the Marquee when it's released.

16. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    When is the Marquee coming out? Anyone know? I'll be in line to buy one for sure. The London 65 is just killer.

Chuck

17. studio8000

i believe it will be out by the end of the year. i cant wait!!