65 amps, Gabriel Voxer or Top Hat Supreme 16?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Myron Stratis, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Which one of those Vox AC15/ Marshall 18 watt inspired amps do you like the most?

2. Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker Member

Check out the Hoffmann 15. Not a clone but the inspiration is there. More tonal flexability than the Marshall. Better crunch. Check thread for pics. One great amp!

3. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I can't comment on the other 2 but I absolutely love my 65 amps London. Not only the best 18 watter I have played but one of my favorite amps of alltime.

Chuck

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

65amps London! Gorgeous amp, totally ROCK to the Nth degree. Get the 2x12...the combination of the Blue and the G12H is incredible.

5. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I have a Tophat 212 Club Royale and it is super voxy and can quickly go into marshall territory, and i hear the 16 is even 'better' (subjective!). You cant go wrong with any Tophat, though if you go the Club route i belive the 2005 version is more VOXy then the new 2006's--with the 2006's being more on the marshall side.

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got the Voxer and it's a great amp. Personally, it's my favorite amp with my les paul, especially the Marshall channel. I use it with a Dr. Z AirBrake, and crank the volume and tone knobs to about 3:00, and knock off a few dbs with the AirBrake.

I haven't played the other two, but highly recommend the Gabriel Voxer.

I think you'd probably be O.K. with any of the three you're considering.

Good luck!

7. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

65Amps London really is a bitchin' amp through and through. The Gabriel is NASTY as well. I think either one you will be happy with. To be honest, with the London, i dont think it really likes ES335 style guitars, at least not in a 112 combo... so if you play an ES335 style guitar (like I do) I wouldnt recommend getting the London. I feel that it the 112 combo with an ES335 sounds like your playing through a cardboard box. This is just from my experience with owning it. Every other guitar sounds great.

8. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I can only speak for the 65 London, but it F-in' rocks! :dude

I've been in tone heaven since I go it. :AOK

9. jakins

jakins Member

Ok, i realize people might get mad at me for this...

i havent played the gabriel...i own a supreme sixteen, and have tried the london a few times...i have to say that the london was an awesome amp. However, I did get lucky because i bought the tophat sound unheard, but its by far the most fun, rocking, versatile, and just plain killer 2 EL84 amp ive played in my short 15 years of playing...if you like low wattage el84 amps, you will be BLOWN away when you play it. And that is not to say that the london isnt a killer amp, too. Sorry if i went overboard, just a little excited, thats all.

10. jakins

jakins Member

i might add that mine is with the matching 212 w/ a heritage H and a blue, awesome speaker combo.

11. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

"Ok, i realize people might get mad at me for this..."

Yeah, I'm mad at you. For having one of those Supreme Sixteens! I want to try one dangit! I've heard good things.

As far as Gabriel vs. 65...I own both right now. And it's so hard to pick a clear winner. The consensus among friends who have come by to A/B them is that the Gabriel has a tad more top end...just a slightly brighter amp...the 65 was a hair more organic sounding (warmer, I guess would be the word). But of the 8 or so friends I've had play them, I think it's been about 50/50 as to which amp was preferred. I lean a little more toward the 65, partially because I think the trem is fabulous, about as cool as I've heard. That said, I may be selling them both soon, along with a couple other goodies, to fund a recording project. So keep your eyes on the emporium if you're interested...I'm still deciding which amps have to go, so it may be a week or two....

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I haven't played the Voxer, I'm sure it is a great amp.

But I do own a Supreme 16. It is the best 2xEL84 amp TopHat has ever made, IMO.

Here are some clips:

http://www.tophatamps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3204

13. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

I have these 2. To my ears they have some different tones. I use them in conjunction with a UK Mallard 18W, possibly one of the greatest low volume Marshall tones.

This is what I use:
    • London EF86 channel into 2 Celestion Blues - great chimey tones, kinda Matchless meets Vox
    • S16 EF86 channel into Blues - raunchy AC15 type tone, needs accurate cut setting
    • S16 12AX7 - I'm quite liking this with the mids off for a bluesy, Fendery tone. At the the more Marshally end it only sounded good into a 55Hz G12H and a Blue. Needs accurate cut setting.
    • Mallard - Great into 55Hz and 75Hz G12Hs or a 55 and Blue for a more bluesy tone. This sound is to die for. A pro musician swore he was listening to EL34s.
    Moral of the story. The S16 is great for gainy tones into the right speakers with good NOS tubes. I nearly sold mine because the eq is so sensitive to speaker choice but perservered. E.g I think the Marshally channel with mids is poor into Blues and the EF86 is only at its best with Blues. The London is great but varaiable. I've tried 3 and loved 2.

All these are personal opinions and are completely meaningless for your application :)

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Have you tried the S16 into a 2x12 with one Blue and one Heritage H? It is pretty darned good for both channels, IMO. I haven't felt the need to mess with the stock tubes yet, and I probably won't for a while.

I'll have to google on the Mallard you speak of. Sounds........ducky. :D

15. anyone

anyone Member

All three are amazing amps, and on this level I start paying attention to how well I connect with the builder (since music is a spiritual thing after all). I'll say nothing more on that... contact them yourself if interested and make your own call...

I will say that Brian at TopHat fixed my scripty Club Royale free of charge even after I told him I wasn't the original owner (and probably well after any warranty should have expired anyway...).

ck

16. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Yes, my favorite is the 12AX7 channel into a Scumback 55Hz plus Blue and the EF86 into 2 Blues.

I've also found that master sounds great at low volumes for conversational level noodling. Previously I'd only backed it off a bit and preferred it maxxed.

I don't think Mick (Mallard) has a web site so it's down to folks this side of the Mallard pond to visit Charlie Chandlers for a listen.

17. myles111

myles111 Member

Of the amps you mention, the 65 Amps London would be my personal pick.

One of the most spectacular amps I have ever played.

18. myles111

myles111 Member

+1 ....

19. myles111

myles111 Member

Have you tried the low level input with the 335?

If you have and think that is a step in the right direction and want to go more that way just drop me a note as there is a simple V2 tube change on the Marshall side or a phase inverter change for both sides. If you are anywhere close to L.A. I will be happy to supply these tubes for you at no charge as I love these amps.

20. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

Geez, you just missed out on an auction that ended on eBay by the owner of Gabriel Garage himself. A Gabriel Voxer Low Carb head went for $965.