65 Amps London Rockin Out 80's Style

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KennyM, Sep 26, 2006.

1. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Thanks to Ultrevex for helping me figure out how to post a clip. Thought I'd throw this up as a test. Hopefully it works.

Here's a the outro of a song I produced for an upcoming movie soundtrack. The song's kind of an 80's sort of hero rock thing. I had never really tried this amp on a solo like this. I usually hear more organic sounding London clips so thought this might interest those looking at this amp. Great sounding amp and proving to be pretty versatile. I think it hangs pretty well with a little hairspray.

Thanks for listening,
    Kenny M.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4485465&q=hi

2. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Unbelievable, the link actually worked as it should.

Thanks again to Ultrevex.

Kenny M.

3. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Damn cool clip bro! Congrats on your work!

4. e-z

e-z Member

Which channel is that? What kind of guitar were you playing?

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

That was a very convincing 80's sounding track! GREAT playing too. :)

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

AWESOME!!! Most clips I've heard on the net are amps raw , or with backing tracks, and it's great to also hear produced versions of songs using an amp.. Obviously they all have their merits. Yours sounds very professional and it's obvious you're a pro at what you do. Thanks again

Eric

7. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Hey, glad some enjoyed it. I don't get to dust the cobwebs off my 80's chops very often and it was fun. Really great players on the tracks too. I'm just still ecstatic I finally found a way to post clips here. My internet chops are still pretty dismal.

I'll run the signal chain down for those that are interested.

stock 99' Historic LP, bridge pickup straight into the London Marshall channel (vol, tone dimed) into 65 Amps 2x12.

I miced the Blue speaker straight on with a Royer 121 into a Neve 1073 into Pro Tools HD at 96K.

One of the reasons I wanted to get the clip posting thing together is I thought sometime I might record some dry guitar samples of the different amps and cabs I've been picking up over the last year. I have some pretty nice gear in my studio and can crank as loud or as soft as necessary so I think I could really get some great recorded examples of the 4 or 5 amps I use. Sort of my payback for all the great amp and pedal info I've been able to obtain from you all.

I mainly do a lot of composing and producing for TV and film and for the last several years have been "Amp Farming" it most of the time just due to the hectic schedules I deal with. I'm so thankful for the knowledge and "tone seeking" that goes on in this forum. It's really made me get off my lazy ass and start using real amps again. All I can say is there's no way I'm going back.

Thanks again,
    Kenny M.

8. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

i'm bummed....clip wont play for me....using firefox on mac.

9. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Link works on a mac with Safari. Didn't check it with Firefox.

Here's a link to the whole song if anyone's interested. Among the guitar goodies used:

99' Gibson Historic LP
    56' Tele
    58' Martin 00-18
    Mongrel Strat
    D13 FTR 37
    71' Marshall smallbox 50 watter w/ 69' 4x12 Basketweeve cab
    65 Amps London
    Mesa Boogie 50 watt Rectifier w Rectifier 2x12

The bulk of the guitar sounds were the London with the LP or Tele. The Marshall and Boogie were just to layer a little power in on the choruses. Everything was straight in except for one part with a H&K Rotosphere.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4486394&q=hi

10. myles111

myles111 Member

Great playing on a great amp.

11. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Thanks Miles. Great amp for sure.

I'm still on the fence about it's AC30 type sounds. I still haven't dialed that in 100% to my liking and may end up with another amp to cop that closer (considering a D13 RSA31 or an old Vox if I could find a TB head that I don't have to sell a kidney to get).

The Marshall side sounds very close on tape to my old 50 watt. It doesn't have the wallup, but it's much more "singy" and sustains much better for single note lines and solo's.

If I could get a little more U2 Edge out of it I would call it perfect for my needs. I think it's mainly the top boost zing I'm missing so if anyone has any suggestions for getting that out of it (maybe the right pedal?) I'd be all ears. Even if I pick up another amp for that thing, it would be hard to part with the London as it's one of those amps that is impossible to make sound bad.

Kenny M.

12. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Great sound! Nice fingers there too!

BTW I have firefox and works just fine. Disable your popupblocker and it should work.

What other soundtracks have you worked K?

EP

13. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Hey, thanks EP. You guys are much too kind and "I'm not worthy".

I've kind of been wearing the composer - producer hat now for so long that I had forgotten where my guitar hat was. Tuning into the gearpage for the last year or so has definitely rekindled my passion for all things guitar and helped me find that hat, although it occasionaly feels like it's attached to a pair of mittens making me wonder how I've fooled everybody this long. Slowly getting it back.

Most of the movie stuff I've been scoring is pretty low budget and for the most part, pretty horrible movies. Kind of the dues to be payed in trying to crossover from the tons of commercials, promos and TV stuff I do which is actually more high profile. It's nice to get the opportunity to get paid for writing and playing a lot of different music and it even got me an Emmy nomination this year. I still look at it all as an excuse to keep playing guitar and originally started composing and producing because I thought that no one could get me more guitar gigs than myself as producer. I'm always my own first call :D

Thanks again.

Kenny M.

14. Swampash

Swampash Member

Try different EF86's and different EL84's. The Vox magic happens at lower volumes (to my ear), and comes across better with single coils (than 'buckers) that don't hit the EF86 as hard...YMMV.

15. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Kenny-
    I got the link to work.....Holy Schikees!! Great playing and nice tone!!! I'm an 80's based player, so this sounds great to me.

16. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I'm still using the stock tubes so maybe I can give that a try although my limited tube experiments only seemed to result in small percentages of differences. I do seem to get closest with the lo input and volume on around six and sounds really great with my Tele. I keep wondering if it's the extra headroom that an AC30 gives (more power) that I miss. Sort of the same difference between my old Marshall and the Marshall channel of the London. The other factor I've considered is those interactive tone controls you get with a TB AC30.

I'm checking out an RSA31 tomorrow and will be interested in how it compares.

Also, thanks Chaz, kind words indeed and glad you enjoyed.

Kenny M.

17. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Great Stuff, Nailed the 80's vibe to me it sounds like St. Elmo's Fire and Secret of My Success, hope that is what you are going for

18. thintele

thintele Member

nice clip Kenny...great tone. I'm digging my London too... although the genre I'm covering is a bit different, it just goes to show what a great amp this is.

19. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Well, the song was actually written back in the 80's, but somehow struck a nerve with those involved with the film (they obviously like 80's music). They wanted the production modernized a bit which I think was marginly accomplished in the verses, but the chorus is an 80's fan's wet dream. Not many ways to sing "no risk no glory" without pulling out your Quiet Riot or Bon Jovi records.

Maybe should be a new thread, but I did get to check out the RSA31. Man, that amp totaly sounds like the best old TB AC30, only bigger. While the London is very versatile and sounds really great, the RSA31 is the way to go if the AC30 thing is what you're looking for. Going to pick up the 31 and am trying to figure out what holes the London will fill in between a 31 and my old Marshall. I would just hate to get rid of something that sounds this good.

You can't possibly own and use every great sounding amp. Or can you?.... :crazyguy

And as always, I'm humbled by your kind reviews.

Kenny M.

20. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

Hey KennyM, I recently picked up an /13 RSA31 and it is amazing, you won't be dissapointed. Definitely give us your thoughts after comparing the RSA31 with the London.