1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

65 Amps London: whats it sound like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davidkiddmusic, Feb 14, 2006.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

So whats the deal... I've been hearing great things about this amp and Im looking for something Marshall-y and am looking kind of between this amp and the Divided by 13 RSA 23 small box. What do you guys think.

What does this one sound like? You like? Dont like? Why?

Thanks for your help.

dk

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Do a search for 65Amps London and you'll find a wide variety of threads dealing with your question.

I switched from a head to a 2x10 combo and am very pleased. I ran my head into a closed-back 4x10 cab and just wanted a portable, hard-rockin' combo for small gigs and rehearsals.

The London is the best amp I have ever owned, period. It's not a high-gain monster, that's for sure, but if you're into classic rock & roll tones, it's hard to beat.

The 'Colour' channel (EF86) can be chimey or grindy depending on the amp volume, guitar volume, pickups, how hard/soft you play, etc. The Tremolo channel (12AX7) has the same characteristics but a less ... rich tone. The EF86 side is just chock-full of ... stuff, you know. It's quite complex :) The 12AX7 side is a bit more 'regular', or Marshall-y, or rather I should say a bit more what you might be used to hearing. The EF86 side is kind of Vox-y but ... more so, and a bit different from what you may be used to.

There's a lot I like, and very little I don't like. I love the tremolo on this amp, although I think as it is stock it's too fast speed-wise, but that's a personal thing. Dan (runs the company, designed the amp, etc.) was very cool about that and showed me what to do to make the speed more my ... uh, speed. I'm not entirely sold on the open-back combo setup yet, but again, that's personal and reflects nearly 20 years of playing through closed-back cabinets. I love the portability of a combo, but haven't had one for a while because 2x12 combos are just too heavy to lug around for me. 2x10, now, that's hot :)

On the head version, my only TRUE dislike was the voltage selector (110v - 120v - 220v - 240v) on the back panel. I felt it was too easy, too possible to knock that around and end up with the improper setting on it, possibly damaging the amp or the player. Now, the knob isn't easy to move - you'd really have to KNOCK it to get it to move, but still - it was exposed. They've removed that control in 2006, now it's available as an option but not on the stock models. Very smart choice IMHO. Of course, on the combo I have now, that control is protected from jostling by virtue of being inside the back of the combo - but I still check it every time I plug the amp in!

The way I have mine set up, I leave the boost (EF86 channel) on all the time and use that channel as my 'crunch/lead' channel. I use the 12AX7/Trem channel as my 'clean/rhythm' channel - although since I run the volumes on both sides all the way up, I can really use either channel for either clean or crunch sounds simply by controlling my guitar's volume. Great way to do it!

I've never played a /13 or heard one in person, so I can't really make a comparison, but I played a lot of hand-wired amps before I settled on 65Amps.

--chiba

3. e-z

e-z Member

Chiba,

How much smaller is the 2x10 combo than the 2x12? I looked on their website but couldn't find dimensions. I have the head and cab version and love it but am considering the 2x10 for greater protability. Would it be possible for you to measure yours? Thanks.

ez

4. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I had the opportunity to play one at Junior's Music before the shop burnt down. It's the perfect amp for those that want rich Fender type cleans and a Marshall JTM-45 type overdrive. It doesn't have much gain (hence why I liken the british type light clipping to a JTM-45), but it's very rich sounding, very clear and powerful. The amp sounds better at lower volumes than your standard Marshalls, so I can see it being the perfect blues/rock club player's amp.

5. asdf

asdf Member

The 2X10 is not too much smaller, but it definitely is. It to me looks like a mini of the 2X12. I also know the 1X12 and 2X10 are the same size, just a different speaker configuartion.

6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I wanna hear some real clips of it. Everything on their site sounds harsh! I'm told that's not how it sounds at all.

7. e-z

e-z Member

Thanks asdf.

I actually played a protoype of the 2x10 when I picked up my head and cab from them last September but I can't recall how big it was. I think I was too excited to get my amp.

Anyone know what the weight difference is? How about bass response? I'd imagine the 2x10 would have a tighter bass response but wonder how much "oomph" you lose.

8. Chiba

I'm not too sure how much smaller than the 2x12 it is, I'd have to put them side by side. It is smaller (and lighter) though.

As for ooomph, I get plenty :) I swapped out the stock Jensens for a mixed pair of Eminence - Ramrod and Copperhead. Most folks that hear it are surprised to learn it is a 2x10!

--chiba

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

Go to the Sothbay Ampworks website, and check out the sound samples of his Scumback speakers. Some of those samples were done with a 65, and I think they sound better than the clips on the website. I don't think the amp is my cup of tea, but those clips sound pretty good.

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i definitely wouldn't describe it as harsh. i'm not usually a big fan of marshalls (a little too much emphasis on the upper mids for me), but the 65 was amazing. very thick and grindy. i'm sure you can get harsh settings if you tried, but i didn't find any in my experience.

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Interesting, I've never heard of this amp described as Fender-ish...surprising since it's roots are Marshall 18w/EL84.
    Greg

12. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

One of the things I like best is the headroom. It's the nearest to perfect for my syle of play (classic rock band-average volume) that I've found. At band volumes I can still get pretty clean sounding chords but when I bump it up just a little and/or pick harder it starts to break up in a really cool way. The low end is plenty for my needs-important in an 18 watter.

It sounds to me like a great vintage amp that was designed in the 60's.

Harsh, it definitely isn't. It's the least harsh sounding amp I've ever played except for a Cowtipper.

13. AK1

AK1 Member

The RSA23 just kills the 65, no matter what you plug in - I've owned both.
    But if you're looking for something "Marshally" a PTP Marshall might just do that for you. Neither one of these amps can touch a good Marshall.

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Stu at Fat Sound says it's topology is based on a Vox AC15 and a Marshall 18 watter.

15. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

What format do you 65 London owners prefer.... the 2x12 combo or the head and 2x12 cab? I'm speaking purely from a sonic perspective here... not portability. I'm wondering what sounds better to you and why? Since the matching 65 2x12 cabinet is also open backed (like the 2x12 combo) I'm curious if there is any appreciable sonic difference?

16. Amplite

Amplite Member

I love the flexibility of the 65 head and love the sound of the 2x12 cab.
    The head also prevents the dreaded combo rattles for recording. I also am a head in the control room guy so for me a no brainer which is good considering I have no brains left to speak of!!:eek:
    Been blown away too many times from great amps!!!:dude

17. e-z

e-z Member

I have the head and 2x12 cab and it sounds wonderful. I am thinking about swapping for the 2x10 just for ease of transport and storage.

18. Chiba

So do the folks that build it :)

--chiba

19. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I can't agree with this statement. I own both the RSA 23 and the London 65 and to say the 23 kills the 65 is outrageous. I like both amps but decided to sell the RSA 23. If I could afford to keep the RSA 23 I would have but I needed a little cash and they are an easy sell. I also like the 65 a tad more mainly because you get two really different channels in one amp. To me the RSA 23 channels sound very similar. I love the 23 and when money permits I'll order another one from Fred but since I could only keep one I decided on the 65. Another big issue for me was the 65 is the perfect volume level. The 23 is much louder than the 65.

The one thing the 23 has on the 65 IMO is that the 23 can get a louder more chimey clean when using the guitar volume. It just has a bigger clean tone. But for someone to say that the RSA 23 kills the 65 just doesn't compute with me. Then again I didn't really know amps were made to kill each other. Bottom line for this consumer is that both Fred and Dan make killer amps and both amps are great.

Chuck

20. AK1

AK1 Member

what can I say, I just like dramatic statements with no meaning whatsoever...