65 Amps marquee.. oh great, just what I need more GAS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, Jan 21, 2006.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

this thing blew me away at NAMM, it sounds refined as hell with a tight wonderful brit-flavored overdrive on the more elaborate channel... the one with treble and bass controls. It's warm, detailed, vintage and pretty damn gainy, and the bass, while plentiful, stays nice and tight and stout. Their cab with a mix of g12m's and h's was killer too.

Gas gas gas, sigh..

2. reaiken

reaiken Member

That was my favorite amp of the show, too. It nails that old Faces/Stones tone, especially with that '63 Les Paul SG that Dan had.

Randall Aiken

3. Richards

Richards Member

Major gas boys, major!! Can't wait to see/hear this amp. High on my list of things to do in '06

4. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Hands down winner for me too! I did have Peter Stroud try and get close to the London sound on the Marquee to see how close it got and it's in the ballpark if you can't decide between the two. Running on half power mode on what he called the AX12 sounding side got the flavor accross. The other channel really had a cool vintage yet tight beefy sound that begged to be cranked!

5. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

Really interested in the Marquee, wouldn't happened to have heard any pricing quoted, would you guys?

6. asdf

asdf Member

http://65amps.com/prices.htm I know the Marquee prices aren't up there now, but I imagine within a day or two they will be. The London's pricing is up there though.

7. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

um, my wallet could be in trouble. ;)

Does the Faces/Stones comparison mean it sounds something like an Ampeg?

Anybody got any pics?

8. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I sat in the sound booth and watched Dan Boul and Jim Seavall play both the Marquee and the London for about 20 minutes...you guys hit the nail on the head here...that amp sounds great...

I thought the Bogner Duende will appeal to Bogner fans as well...definitely beats out the Shiva..but...

The 65 Marquee takes the cake.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

what are we GAS'ing over? 2 channel amp? marshall flavor? EL34? etc.?

10. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

11. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

this is direct cut and paste from the web site

Facts...
    ·Complete point to point hand wiring, 100% hand assembled with care and 100% made in the USA.
    ·Each amp is custom voiced and broken-in thoroughly before sale to ensure 100% reliability and maximum tone!
    Channels -
    · Normal channel is a cascoded twin-triode operating in Pentode mode with Tone and 6-way Color controls. This channel delivers beautiful classic 60’s British tone with that unique Pentode depth.
    · Classic Channel is 12AX7 based with a unique Treble, Mid, Bass tonestack unlike traditional “classic” tonestacks. .This a gain switchable channel that can deliver unbelievably rich & musical crunch or loads of chime & jangle at the flick of a switch.
    · Cut knob affecting both channels.
    Tubes -
    · Power – Matched & Graded Premium EL84's.
    · Preamp - Premium graded, tested 12AX7’s.
    · Phase inverter - Premium 12AX7.
    · Premium tested 5AR4/GZ34 (or 5U4 for softer, bluesier tone).

sure has my interest peaked as well!

12. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Ok, can someone translate the Normal channel description for me.:eek: What sort of amps have that style of twin triode pentode depth?

It's like when a doctor tells me I broke my latimus tellonious feeber (I'm making that up)...just tell me I broke my arm.

Thanks! :)

-Rich

13. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

from these descriptions, it sounds like an Orange Amp, tone control design??
    is that right??

14. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

For the Marquee, an old Selmer tone stack was the inspiration. We took it from there.

15. alainguitars

alainguitars Member

Besides the wattage, how do the London and Marquee differ tone wise?

Thanks

16. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

It was just a no-brainer, killer tone.. crank it up, warm tight clear OD tone, super defined, no flub... lots of bottom on tap for an EL84 design... don't play it if you are GAS prone and like good brit tone, there is no turning back once you hear it, I've been thinking about it sonce friday morning...

17. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

I did not need to hear that! I have a rare Selmer that I've been trying to find a modern day replacement for and this may be it. GAS ATTACK!

Which Selmer did you take inspiration from?

18. DanBoul

DanBoul Member

Couldn't resist here, sorry . . .

First, thanks for all the kind words guys!! Very very nice of you!!

The TMB channel started out from one of Peter's "Treble and Bass" heads that he has . . . it sounds stupid-good. We played with values and compoenents in that circuit and added a mid-pot instead of the 68k resistor that defined the mids before.

Our output tubes and transformer are naturally very different from the original Selmers, but wanted to recreate that cool sound at a reasonable volume, so EL84's were the obvious choice instead of the original EL34's. The Color channel is our Color circuit from the London, only with a Cascoded 12AX7 that acts just like a pentode instead of the EF86 in the London. This channel sounds pretty darn similar to my 64 Vox AC50.

Both channels are different in their gain structures and tones. Both are also very useful. As will the London, we really tried to create something that has a braod enough vocabulary that a working player can use it on a gig and find everything useful.

Cheers! Let me know if you have any other questions at all!

Dan

19. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

The Marquee does seem pretty similar to my Selmer except with a few differences like my power tubes are different. My Selmer, it's an All Purpose 30, uses EL506 power tubes (I didn't know what they were until after I researched them). Here's a link to a Selmer site that describes what my amp is: http://selmer.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/black/sel4c.html

The 65 Marquee has really sparked my interest.