65 Amps Monterrey / Memphis

gtrfinder

Gold Supporting Member
Does anyone here own a 65 Amps Monterrey (formerly Memphis)?
Do any dealers have them in stock?
Love my London, but just curious as to other options.
Thanks

JohnM

Funny you mentioned that amp...I had it at my house a couple of days ago.

Very cool sounds...the options are a bit confusing at first, with the reductive master vol and bump feature, but it sounded great.
I was listening to it alongside my 65 fndr twin and suhr od-50 classic.
The monterrey had a nice clean sound with all the bump and master stuff turned off...sort of fenderish but the top end had a vox-like peak to the upper mids and trebles...I guess because it's an EF86 front-end. The tone control is very responsive though.
Once you engage the bump you can beef up the mids quite a bit via the rotary switch that contours the input stage I guess. You can footswitch the bump switch.

To get it to overdrive, you engage the master volume switch, which adds a master vol to the circuit, so you can get saturated tone at lower volume. Definitely leaning more toward the vintage overdrive tones, not really modern distortions. think cranked plexi-ish tone. Still had a bit of vox character too.
It also has a half power option, which is obviously quieter, pretty handy too.
Definitely an impressive amp, but a bit complicated at first.

gtrfinder

Gold Supporting Member
Funny you mentioned that amp...I had it at my house a couple of days ago.

Very cool sounds...the options are a bit confusing at first, with the reductive master vol and bump feature, but it sounded great.
I was listening to it alongside my 65 fndr twin and suhr od-50 classic.
The monterrey had a nice clean sound with all the bump and master stuff turned off...sort of fenderish but the top end had a vox-like peak to the upper mids and trebles...I guess because it's an EF86 front-end. The tone control is very responsive though.
Once you engage the bump you can beef up the mids quite a bit via the rotary switch that contours the input stage I guess. You can footswitch the bump switch.

To get it to overdrive, you engage the master volume switch, which adds a master vol to the circuit, so you can get saturated tone at lower volume. Definitely leaning more toward the vintage overdrive tones, not really modern distortions. think cranked plexi-ish tone. Still had a bit of vox character too.
It also has a half power option, which is obviously quieter, pretty handy too.
Definitely an impressive amp, but a bit complicated at first.
Thanks very much for an informative review.
Now does anyone want to trade me one for my London?:rolleyes:

Hoople

Martin Music in Memphis had one when I was in there this Monday. Not sure if it's gone yet or not.

And it actually was a Memphis, not Marquis.

Trending Topics