65 Amps: Sheryl Crow in NYC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WordMan, Oct 31, 2005.

1. WordMan

WordMan Member

Saw Sheryl and her band, featuring a string section, at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center last night.

She was in fine voice - just wow. The overall sound, though was, frankly bad. The strings were barely audible except for the 2 - 3 quietest songs, the drums were flabby boom/thud - there was no blend with the strings, and the bass was really low in the mix, regardless of which person was playing bass - Tim Smith, her keyboardist who would sometimes play bass, or Sheryl herself. Really disappointing, given the obviously musicianship and talent up on stage - we were back by the soundboard, so it's not like we were getting a weird location mix. The show was being recorded for some purpose, so I suspect it will sound VERY different in the video mix.

Anyway, the one thing - besides Sheryl's voice - that did stand out was Peter Stroud's guitars. Just wow again - regardless of Strat, Les Paul, Jaguar, Zemaitis (?) or whatever, the 3 65 amps I saw in the backline sounded amazing. The slide tone was liquid round creamy and full. The crunch LP tones were tight and classic - a tad compressed to my ear, but I suspect that was a personal choice, not an amp limitation.

The amps came away impressing the hell out of me.
    Just FYI...

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

I saw her on Saturday Night Live, and Peter sounded great! The 65 amp sounded very good on TV.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

really?

why in the world would they put amplified music in alice tully? not much foresight there. a shame cause Sheryl's vox is terrific in concert.

4. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

Why do rock acts have to do the thing with strings and mess up the sound? Sheryl Crow's new album special version comes with a DVD that has some of the best songs on the album without the strings. I guess it is Sheryl and Jeff Trott, her co-writer/producer. The two of them just play acoustic guitar, piano and some electric piano - no strings. If I could have a mix of the album with no strings I would listen to it more.

The same thing with Coldplay. If they left all those annoying, boring strings off their latest it might be worth listening to occasionally.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

actually i love a good string section... Kashmir anyone?

but alice tully's made for unamplified music. and anything bigger than a fender deluxe is gonna sound like ass.

6. studio8000

studio8000 Member

actually thats John Shanks. the other producer.

7. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Silver Supporting Member

What Peter was doing with the Bigsby benders and the slide in "Strong Enough" to get the pedal steel sounds was awesome!.
    (In my best Chris Farley voice)

8. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I thought she played at Avery Fisher not Alice Tully.

Chuck

9. oxtone

oxtone Member

A few years ago I saw Clapton in St. Paul, MN, with a String section behind the band. It was cheesy...

However, I saw Clapton last year, without Strings, and he was much better. He came out of the gate, just smokin' on the guitar! He ripped it up all night long, and Doyle Bramhall II was great, too. Robert Randolph opened, and his band rocked!

10. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

peter stroud is great with sheryl, he had great tone and phrasing on the slide and with the benders on snl.

as for strings with sheryl's band, alison krauss would be good, but not the whole string quartet and wall of sound thing. i like the new album along with all the others.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Was Peter using the Ultimate Attenuator?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

:D :p

13. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

FWIW, when I went to the Sheryl Crow Hollywood Bowl show recently, I got a look at Peter's gear on stage and saw that he was using an Ultimate Attenuator with his rig.

14. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Only if the lyrics joined the strings in exiting stage right! That album was so weak and dissapointing to me......