65 Amps Whiskey vs Friedman Dirty Shirley

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BrentSP, Feb 24, 2015.

1. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

I've played the DS and was very impressed. Have only watched whiskey videos but sound similar but great. The fact it has a clean channel has me leaning toward the whiskey but the DS is very dynamic and can clean up to. Let me have it, hit me with your opinions.

2. BrentSP

Hey ease up on all the opinions, this is getting out of control lol ;)

bump

3. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

I'd be interested as well don't hear enough about the whiskey it seems. Friedman collaborated on it with Dan B correct?

4. BrentSP

Yes Dan got Friedman involved on this one to do the more LA Strip Whiskey A-Go-Go higher gain tone. I'm wondering if its all tube or has the FET diodes like the Friedmans.

5. mapat

mapat Member

The Friedman Dirty Shirley has FET diodes?

6. BrentSP

I'm not sure to be honest. I know the BE100 modes and some of the others amps do. Seems to be a trend among some of the California based Amp Manufactures. Bogner Goldfinger, Helios and Atma use diodes in the 80s mode. Friedman amps and Cameron Amps.

7. iggs

iggs Member

No diodes ... SAT mode on BE is the "diode" switch.

8. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Some of the Friedmans do have diodes but they are switchable and his amps do high gain without the diodes engaged. Dirty Shirley has no diode clipping nor does the Smallbox. I've had the smallbox and still have an older BE and never use the diodes (sat switch) and it seems more users prefer it without. The HBE input uses an extra preamp tube and is even more gain without sat switch, sat just takes BE and HBE over the top gain wise. I also have a Helios 100 and yes it uses the diode clipping on 80's mode in hot input but honestly I like some pretty high gain at times and the 70's mode hot input is fairly high gain in itself, for comparison sake I'd say more than the blue channel on the 101b for comparison sakes. With all that said I love the Helios and the BE but never use the diode options and still get pretty high gain.

I don't know a whole lot about the Whiskey but I don't think I have heard diode clipping mentioned. The one thing that scares me though is the 6l6's lol!

9. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

I've never tried the DS, but I own a Whiskey. The sound clips on YouTube are pretty accurate. Take a good listen to them - the Whiskey is thick and creamy. It does run 6L6s and the mids are not quite the barky EL34 type, but they are good (if you like mids that is, if you don't, this amp is not for you). The EQs are very active as advertised. Dirt channel is darker than clean channel. Clean channel is an EXCELLENT pedal platform. The master is quite impressive - great tone at acceptable volumes (note I did not say bedroom). At whisper quiet volumes it does get fizzy, but still sounds good. Hmmm, am I missing anything?

FireBottle likes this.
  10. BrentSP

Thanks Gas Hed. Any clips or vids of yours?

11. BrentSP

The Whiskey 212 and 112 cabs......are they open or closed back?

12. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

I know the 1x12 is open back. I'm not sure about the 2x12.

13. DETRONATI

DETRONATI Silver Supporting Member

I've got the 2-12 Whiskey cab. It is open back.

14. BrentSP

How's your whiskey compare to your GF45 you sold me?

15. BrentSP

Ran across this whiskey combo review. Thoughts?

"I wanted to love this amp. On paper, it looks great. Co-designed by Dave Friedman. A killer modded Marshall sound along with a booming clean. But this amp did not live up to the hype.

The dirty channel sounded pretty good. Not great, just pretty good. Honestly, I could get those tones from my cheap Blackstar practice amp. I was looking for a huge, 3D, responsive and dynamic tone that became part of me. That's what you expect for this price. It was average. And there was a ton of white noise.

Now this amp is billed as having incredible cleans that bypass the master volume. The clean channel sounded OK at literally bedroom volume. As I brought the volume up just slightly, the channel broke apart, at nowhere NEAR practice volume. It got flabby, muddy, and overly compressed in a most non-musical way. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. A quick tube swap proved the amp was at fault. I was extremely disappointed.

In addition, the effects send and return are located awkwardly under the chassis. This is a minor point, but again, in this price range, you want the design to be well thought out. It was clear the combo was an afterthought. They simply mounted the head in a combo cabinet. It's OK to do that, but design the positions of the jacks and switches better in the beginning.

This flubby quality may just be an issue with dual 6L6 amps. I had similar issues with a Bad Cat Fat Cat 50 I tried. You would think 50 watts would get you a ton of clean headroom. It didn't on either one of these amps.

I've owned and still own a bunch of high-end amps. I find you USUALLY get what you pay for. I think 65 Amps has made a couple nice amps. I own a Ventura, which does that Voxy, chimy, low-wattage thing very well. I think for the most part, you can cop the sound out of most 65 products with much cheaper alternatives.

I ended up getting a Friedman Smallbox 50 from Musician's Friend (they were very cool about the whole exchange). OH MY GOD! What an amp. The EL-34s amazingly give a much better clean, IMHO, and the clean channel can get pretty crunchy, but cleans up like a dream with your volume knob or even just your attack. This is the most touch-responsive amp I've played, and I think it's better than the Friedman Brown Eye.

It's difficult for most of us to buy these boutique amps because we usually have to order them on faith, going by what we've heard on YouTube videos. Take it from someone who briefly owned the Whiskey...keep looking."

16. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

That is an interesting review. I am a Whiskey owner and I like the amp. Has it cured my GAS - no. I still wonder what might be better out there. Here's the thing for me, I haven't had too many amps - started with Mesa DRTV, then Mesa 5:50 Express, 65 Amps London, Bogner Atma, Bogner Shiva, 65 Amps Whiskey. Of all those amps, I like the Whiskey the best. Regarding the dirt channel being pretty good, but not great - I tend to agree. I have a Wampler Super Plextortion pedal that I run through the clean channel that sounds better than the Whiskey dirt channel. But that was the case for every amp I've owned. I have yet to find an amp that gives me a balanced high mid bark without being harsh. My Wampler pedal does that though - just tough to get over that mentally (pedal better than an amp - no way!!!) White noise is not an issue for me - this amp is no noisier than any other amp I've owned. I'm not much of a clean player, but I have been able to get the clean channel to sound like a Fender DR (using my Mustang I model to compare).

One of the main reasons I like the Whiskey is its size. Very easy to lug around (head and 1x12 cab). I also think it sounds great, not amazing, but great. To be honest, I'm starting to think the only way I can get to great is to go down the digital road. First I want to see what the FAS FX8 will do for me through a tube amp loop. If that doesn't cure my GAS, I'll take the plunge on an entire system to see what it does for me.

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

My thoughts are that's some funny stuff right there...

18. BrentSP

That's intersting what you have to say of the overdrive channel. I know I was impressed with the dirty shirley, I'm just not sure on the whiskey just yet. I own a 101b, Goldfinger 45 and shiva 20th el34. You like it better than the shiva?

19. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

True that. I didn't comment on that - but the Whiskey certainly delivers "3D" sound - at least by my definition. I call it percussive and enveloping.

20. BrentSP

Hey he's passionate about his tone ;)