• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

65 Amps Whiskey

tonemeister20

Silver Supporting Member
Dan Boul and Peter Stroud announced on the webcast today they have a new amp coming out at NAMM, the Whiskey, a high gain amp. They have also changed the looks, backlit 65 logo, no vents and different covering. Haven't seen a pic yet but am going to head to the 65 booth when I get to NAMM tomorrow.

As a bonus Andy Elliott is at the 65 booth also. This might get expensive!

I like 65s, Custom Shop Fenders ( guitars and amps) Elliott guitars, Custom Shop Gibsons, Sommatones, Bruno Amps, Matchless, Bad Cat, Duesenberg, Divided by 13, Thorn guitars, Asher guitars and Friedman amps.

Last edited:

louiscyfer

i haven't been at the 65 amps shop since the last time i picked up colossal cables from brian when he was still there. i am gonna have to stop by and check some of the newer stuff out.

tonemeister20

Silver Supporting Member
Dan Boul posted it on FB
I need to go to the dealer section of GP and see what is there. Doesn't matter headed out in about an hour after LA traffic blows off and head towards Annaheim.

I posted this list in another section for my gear search when I get to the convention center:

65 amps Whiskey
Bad Cat
Fender re-issue section
Matchless
Jaguar

Are there any other amps that anyone would like to see or hear?

Keld

Silver Supporting Member
Interested in this one as well. Dan previewed it on his weekly show recently.

Rhombus

I need to go to the dealer section of GP and see what is there. Doesn't matter headed out in about an hour after LA traffic blows off and head towards Annaheim.

I posted this list in another section for my gear search when I get to the convention center:

65 amps Whiskey
Bad Cat
Fender re-issue section
Matchless
Jaguar

Are there any other amps that anyone would like to see or hear?
I would like to know about the new Randall Satan, and wondering how different their flagship head is than Fortin's Meathead. Thanks!

tonemeister20

Silver Supporting Member
Will check out the Randall amp tomorrow but I am not really well versed in that tonal spectrum (satan, meathead etc). Even the high gain 65 whiskey doesn't venture anywhere near the gain of a Krank, Diamond etc.

As you might expect the 65 sounded spectacular. The Duesenberg was as nice in person as the photo. Jaguar amps were not there. There were several companies that had soundproof booths and others awash in a sea of noise. Loudest NAMM I have ever been to. I was really hoping for good things from the new Magnatones but their set up did not lend itself to a good test run. Fenders and Gibsons were top notch. Played the newer version of the Andy Elliott Peter Stroud model with his pickups through the whiskey and it was pure tonal bliss. Biggest surprise so far: electro harmonix soul food. Soundproof booth through a Traynor version of a deluxe and it was nice clear boost/ distortion.

Rhombus

Yeah I hear ya on the gain thing... I have a friend who loves Jaguar amps. Dan's Elliott Tele I played once was sooooooo resonant and lively. THAT's a real guitar - I'm jelly of anyone who owns an Elliott.

tonemeister20

Silver Supporting Member
I like the producer 84 but can only afford one amp so for right now that is the Whiskey. I have a Dirty Shirley which is one of my favorite gigging amps but keep it on the edge of breakup not really using extreme high gain. The Whiskey will do the same thing with slightly more warmth and clarity. So the Shirley is closer to a JCM 800 and the Whiskey a JTM 45. In addition the master volume seems to be more effective on the 65.

At the 65 party last night had a chance to hear the Whiskey at stage volume and it sounded fantastic. 3 new amps, 2 Producers and the Whiskey. Almost too many choices!

wedewer

I like the producer 84 but can only afford one amp so for right now that is the Whiskey. I have a Dirty Shirley which is one of my favorite gigging amps but keep it on the edge of breakup not really using extreme high gain. The Whiskey will do the same thing with slightly more warmth and clarity. So the Shirley is closer to a JCM 800 and the Whiskey a JTM 45. In addition the master volume seems to be more effective on the 65. At the 65 party last night had a chance to hear the Whiskey at stage volume and it sounded fantastic. 3 new amps, 2 Producers and the Whiskey. Almost too many choices!

I heard the Whiskey in person yesterday. I thought it sounded fantastic. I have a London Pro and like that, but I went in with a skeptical mind. Walked in and sounded huge. Almost fell over when Dan said he was playing it through the 112 cabinet. Maybe it was the booth, but I have never heard a 112 sound that huge. To me it's exactly how Dan describes it. A lot of time he uses the same language to "hype" his stuff. There is no hype here. After that he plugged into the EL84 producer. Nothing has grabbed me about the tones of the other producers, but this one did. It sounded like a fantastic refined vintage vox.

5150gtrmonkey

Gold Supporting Member
I like the producer 84 but can only afford one amp so for right now that is the Whiskey. I have a Dirty Shirley which is one of my favorite gigging amps but keep it on the edge of breakup not really using extreme high gain. The Whiskey will do the same thing with slightly more warmth and clarity. So the Shirley is closer to a JCM 800 and the Whiskey a JTM 45. In addition the master volume seems to be more effective on the 65.

At the 65 party last night had a chance to hear the Whiskey at stage volume and it sounded fantastic. 3 new amps, 2 Producers and the Whiskey. Almost too many choices!
Very cool. Thanks for the follow up report!

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I listened to the Whiskey, it's a great amp. To add a detail or two, it has a clean channel, super direct, brilliant and immediate, it also has a loop, big plus for many of us.

The amp is really raw sounding in a wonderful way. I loved it. The clean side has a lot of attitude, and the dirty side is sublime, not all mid-scooped and hairy, just nasty, nasty nasty, and big sounding.

jota

From the videos I can't tell if you can set the clean and the drive for the same volume!
I know the clean bypasses the master so it will always sound louder than the drive section when you are using the master?

Gas Hed

I heard the Whiskey in person yesterday. I thought it sounded fantastic. I have a London Pro and like that, but I went in with a skeptical mind. Walked in and sounded huge. Almost fell over when Dan said he was playing it through the 112 cabinet. Maybe it was the booth, but I have never heard a 112 sound that huge. To me it's exactly how Dan describes it. A lot of time he uses the same language to "hype" his stuff. There is no hype here. After that he plugged into the EL84 producer. Nothing has grabbed me about the tones of the other producers, but this one did. It sounded like a fantastic refined vintage vox.
I've got a London Pro as well - how does the Whiskey compare?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom