65 Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lerxst2112, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

What can people tell me about the London? I'm just kind of looking for a general overview. What does it do well? Not do well?

Any clips?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

No clips yet, but the London's my go-to amp, period. Do a search here for 65Amps and you should come up with several threads that can help you out.

I really, really like mine a lot. I play in a pretty straightforward rock band and have yet to want a tone it can't produce. I guess the only thing it can't/doesn't do is super-saturated, highly compressed, really high gain tones - although the EF86 side gets pretty massive amounts of gain. It's nice and raw.

I'm playing a pair of Thorns through mine, one with Rio P-90s and the other with Seymour Duncan Brian May pickups - kind of like hot-rodded single-coils but more like P-90s in some ways. I've run a Tele through it as well and that was HOT stuff.

--chiba

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

If you haven't checked out the 65 website you might want to look for the clips they have posted. Wasn't the London used in the Scumback / Celestion speaker comparison? If so there were several clips in that thread.

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I've heard the ones on the site. Only one clip really grabbed me...

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Plain and simple the clips on the 65 site suck. The amp sounds nothing like the clips to me. My London 65 is one of my favorite amps I have ever owned or heard. It is killer. I truly think Dan is doing himself a disservice by having those clips up. Just my opinion.

Chuck

6. asdf

asdf Member

Yes that's true.

7. stratofied

stratofied Member

I haven't played the London so I can't comment from experience but it's hard to believe that Peter Stroud, Gary Burnette, Greg V and Pat Buchanan were unable to get the goods out of that amp.

8. oxtone

oxtone Member

I spent a couple hours with a 65 London combo at Solidbodyguitar.com, and I thought the amp sounded best turned up. For a combo, it had the
    biggest low end I've ever heard in a 2x12 combo. It didn't sound good with my Tonebone Classic pedal - the overdrive on the amp sounded alot better. It's not a metal amp, but great for classic rock and blues, I think. It also sounded good with a 16 ohm THD Hot Plate - you have to turn the amp up for good tone, which might me too loud for some venues, so the Hot Plate worked well with it.

Dan and Peter have a winner, here!! :AOK :AOK

9. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

+1 they're not really horrible, painful to listen to clips. but they certainly don't make the amp sound very special - which it does in person.

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

11. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

I have to agree with Procos, the clips on the London site do not do justice to the depth and complexity that the amp delivers in person. I can't begin to surmise why. The two channels are voiced distinctly different; ch 1 is voxy with an ef 86 preamp tube and "color" rotary (ala matchless or badcat) that covers an amazing range from dark, thick and midrangey to bright and spanky. The boost on this channel delivers plenty of gain short of soldano or metal and seems to be just about the right jump in vol to put your solo out front. Ch 2 is 18 watt marshall with a trem circuit. Rich and chewy, more mids and less sparkle. You will need an a/b/y box that has a phase switch if you want to switch channels and combine them (very highly recommended). Both channels have tons of harmonic complexity and (much like the Constellation) throw musical feedback and overtones out like crazy. Fairly easy to control and use that to your advantage.
    I had a very tough time deciding between the combo and the head/cab and settled for the combo only because I don't think I've ever owned a 2x12 combo and did not envision wanting to use different speakers than the ones provided (the blue and g12h30 are a perfect combination for this amp). The seperate cab sounds huge with slightly more push but I liked the ambiance of the open back combo that still provides ample low end.

The best thing I can say about this amp is that it inspires me to play things that I ordinarily don't come up with. I can't even tell you why yet, it just pushes my playing into different directions.

The only negatives I've found so far are; slightly noisy when dimed (which is where they sound the best, lol) and the trem circuit (although it is wickedly deep and full) does not have the range of speed that I would have liked. The trem also has an audible "helicopter" pulse when both controls are turned way up although it is unlikely that you would need to max these out if you're looking for "musical" trem.

One HUGE plus for the London is the guys that make them. I bought mine used and upon arrival, it had some serious issues. I am nobody in this wonderful world of music and Dan treated me like I was his most important client, expedited the repair and followed up to see if I was pleased with the results. Customer Service doesn't get any better, in my experience.

Try to check one out in person. It's well worth the effort. Happy hunting.

12. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

+1 on that.....the site clips sound NOTHING like what mine sounds like.
    If it means anything to you- I sold one of my all time favorite amps- a Bad Cat Black Cat 30R- its an amazing sounding amp (and I WILL miss it), in favor of the 65London- for me it did pretty much everything the BC did, but also cleaned up a little better, has tremelo (which I personally think sounds fantastic, but agree with speed issues), gets that "Marshall" grind I love, and the boost channel is VERY useable in that the boost actually gets you into the "solo" volume needed to cut through if used. Just a bit more versatile sans the reverb.....

I will say that it really does sound a lot better with the 65Amps cab- the mismatched pair (G1230 and Celest. Blue) really compliment the tones this amp is capable of. Also- its about 40 pounds lighter than my BC rig!!!

Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges, but they are the two EL84 based amps I own- and the 65 just gets a nicer overall, rounder, less compressed tone to my ears- and as much as I'd like to, I can't keep 'em all.

The 65 WILL stay in my arsenal for a very long time to come!

The only downfalls other than the trem speed- I can hear the trem (if its engaged) in the boost (non trem) channel- not a biggie to just turn it off, but somewhat annoying. Also- it is LOUD for 18 watts- there is no in-between volume- its loud and then goes to loud and juicy.

I will say this- I bought mine here on TGP and Dan offered to check it out and give me upgrades FREE OF CHARGE!!! How cool is that??? He even offered me the warranty for a small fee (which I did not take him up on as I spent my last dime on the amp and cab- no offense Dan, I was just broke from the purchase!!)

How many other amp manufacturers would go to THAT length to please someone buying their amp SECOND HAND????????????

That speaks volumes (pun completely intended) about the company and men behind it.

GO AND BUY THIS AMP- YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. If you are, there are plenty of people out there who will take it off your hands for pretty darn close to what you paid for it!

13. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

The clips by Peter Stroud sound pretty darn good to me and represent the amp nicely IMO. If those clips suck I guess I like sucky sound. I would agree, other clips are less than stellar.

YMMV

<M

14. tone dog

tone dog Member

This is a bit like piling on, but I'll add my two cents. Flat out the best amp I've ever owned. I agree with most reviews above, though I find I can get a lot of very interesting tones at less than full volume. Unlike many other el84 amps I've played, you can use every drop of the volume knob without harshness, brittleness or other weirdness when dimed.

I own a combo, and one observation that is true with any EF86 based amp is that these tubes are very sensitive to cabinet vibration so tend to do better in a head/cab set-up. I had a little noise at high volume that went totally away with a higher quality ef86 (a GEC which is about the most durable, most musical variety out there and an amazing upgrade for $75). I also couldn't resist the temptaion and dropped in a pair of NOS el84s and 12ax7's which added to the tonal complexity that everyone describes with this amp and may be why I've gotten great results at less than full volume.

A really great piece of equipment for either single coils or humbuckers, though I find myself plugging in a stratocaster first whenever I turn this one on.

15. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Hey Dog:

You bought a London? Welcome to the club!
    Do you still have your Old Flame?

16. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

I have read a lot about this amp and its great Vox tones, what about the "18 watt" side of the amp? I am new to 18 watt tones and the Marshall hand wired amp I played blew me away. Does the London sound as good as the Marshall? What about the trem?

17. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I think the Marshall side sounds as good, if not better than a Marshall. Trem is very cool - my only beef was the speed; I wanted a slower overall speed. Dan walked me through making the change.

Great amp, great company.

--chiba