'65 Deluxe Reverb owners, which channel do you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by neweffectsfreak1, Mar 7, 2015.

1. neweffectsfreak1

neweffectsfreak1 Member

Which one do you go for?

I only run a few pedals (Strat>Boost>Fuzz>Delay>DRRI) and my band plays pretty loud so I keep the volume on about 4.5/5 most of the time. I read on some forum that the bright cap is completely defeated with the volume at about 4, this true?

Cheers!

2. InkStained

InkStained Member

Both, depending on what I want at the time. For cleanish, jazzier stuff, I use the vibrato channel. If I'm playing with the Hendrix signal chain, I may plug into the normal channel.

They're both useable.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Pedals sound so much better thru normal ch, but you should try it on yours to see. I didn't do any mods, cept a bias adjust to warm it up a bit. Normal ch. is fuller. Not just from not having a bright cap.

Maybe it's from the extra circuitry like reverb/trem lose a bit of fullness or body to the sound it seems. I have heard this from DR. Z as well as other high end amp guys. Also have experienced it for myself with same model amps with verb and without. I was gonna do the mod that allows the 'verb to be added to the normal ch. but some told me it changes it a bit. I kinda don't want it on that ch. anyhow because I like the drive pedal on it. With reverb it gets too muddy.

4. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I don't think the mod to add reverb to the dry channel is that great an idea. A DrZ Maz 38 I had with reverb didn't click with my ears. I got a Maz 38 NR and the simpler circuit really sounded better to me.

I've always gone into #1 side of the reverb channel. The extra db's and thickness have been my main reason. Last night playing at low volume, I noticed a buzziness to the Red Snapper's OD. I'll try the dry channel today with a CC for reverb effect and listen for the buzz

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  5. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

I think it all depends on the volume level you're playing. At lower levels the normal channel works much better but cranked up I don't hear much difference.

6. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

The two channels are 99% identical, with the exception that one has verb and tremolo and the other doesn't.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Not to my ears at around 4-5 on volume. You do know besides the signal running through the effects and extra circuitry, there IS also a bright cap on the Vibrato ch.?

8. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I pull the first preamp tube and use input one of the vibrato channel.

9. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Yes, but the more you turn up the volume, the less the effect of the bright cap.

Truth be told, if you leave the effects off, the two channels are identical, with the exception of two components, that bright cap, and one coupling cap has a different value, which shouldn't effect your tone very much at all.

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Not sure about the RI but a vintage DR is pretty different sounding between the channels.

11. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I don't think the two channels sound alike, even without bright cap, trem or reverb. I use the second, vibe, channel. For jamming or mono mic-ing for fun, I'll plug my cheap Zoom Rythm machine into chan 1, which provides a well balanced thump. Another thing about this, which I never read about, even if that active little machine isn't running a rhythm program, just being turned on gives a sweet compression to the "lead" channel. If I gigged or did serious recording with it, I'd probably bring along the zoom for when I wanted that sweet compression. It adds no discernible noise. Anyone else discover this in theirs?

12. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

When I had one in the 90's I was on the vibrato channel 100% of the time.

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah but around 4-5 it's noticeable and that's my point. I don't go much over that. and it's noticeably fuller plugging straight in. I think it's just less circuitry so the tone is a bit fuller. I didn't do the mod to add 'verb to the normal ch. because of this.

Most amp guys seem to say, if you want the best, fullest tone, keep the path as simple as possible. It seems to be with the DRRI I have.

14. lavinci

lavinci Member

can you elaborate?
    why, what does this get you?

La\\//inci