1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

'65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue....Clean headroom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Oct 24, 2008.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Does the '65 Dlx Reverb RI have decent headroom? I know it's only 22 watts, does it break up real early?
    Can you get clean sounds in a small club unmic'd without large amounts of breakup?

2. m@2

m@2 Member

yes, absolutely. although i did trade mine for a twin (rediculous amounts of clean headroom) the DRRI definitely has good small club headroom. I used mine unmic'd many times in clubs.

if you want infinite headroom, then do TRRI (but, over double the weight of the DRRI)

3. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

My DRRI starts getting a little hair on the notes with the volume at 4-5; it's a great gigging amp. As a lot of threads here have said in the past, good speakers help. I run either a CRex or RWB in mine, both sound fantastic. Lately, though, I've been running the CRex in the DRRI & the RWB in a 1x12 ext cab, and it sounds like heaven.

4. Deacon

Deacon Member

The DRRI seems to have pretty good headroom if you're running a Strat or Tele through it.

For Les Paul, 335, or other bucker guitar ... not so much.

5. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

Perceived headroom also depends on your speaker choice. A well broken in stock speaker with an HB guitar starts to have significant breakup around 4 or 5 and was of decent volume in a studio/practice room. I swapped the speaker out for a much more efficient Eminence Red Ryder, and it gets reaaally loud and doesn't start to break up for me until about 6 or 7 at least. For a full on crunch, it needs to get up to 8. Also, the tube brands have a lot to do with it too. It seemed to have more breakup with EHx 12ax7s and Mesa 6v6s, v. JJ 12ax7s and JJ 6v6s which gave me more headroom... it's a very tweakable amp with simple changes!

6. shane88

shane88 Member

it would depend on how loud you play - if you use a strat or turn the vol on a hb guitar down you may get away with it
    but i'd say it's marginal

7. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

I think my DRRI has plenty of clean headroom. Actually, it has almost too much! I get too loud playing with my band if I try to crank it to the point of overdrive. I usually run the volume around 4 with humbuckers and then dirty it up with pedals.