65 Deluxe Reverb RI noise

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by KyleA_724, Feb 17, 2012.

1. KyleA_724

KyleA_724 Member

Ok so i noticed a few weeks ago that my 65 DRRI is making a strange sound. Even when everything is completely unhooked, the amp makes a sizzling sound that grows louder for a few seconds then goes away. This cycle happens maybe once every two minutes. It never gets loud enough to notice while I'm playing, and no one really notices it but me when I'm not playing...

It's always been road case kept, and fairly new tubes. The only problem i've ever had with this thing is that around a year and a half ago, a "friend of a friend" borrowed it and "Paid me for the rental" by changed my tubes out for me and put 6L6's in it instead of 6V6's. I noticed the difference as SOON as I got it back and changed em back to 6V6's myself immediately...

Could this have had some sort of adverse effect on my amp this far down the road??

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

This sound is usually caused by dirty tube pins or dirty tube sockets. It can however also be caused by a plate resistor going bad but normally this will be louder. If someone had been shagging around with the tubes its possible dirt was introduced to the socket. They can be cleaned easily enough.

3. KyleA_724

KyleA_724 Member

4. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Member

It could be a grid stopper resistor rather than a plate resistor if it is a quiet crackle. Still cheap to fix. I would start by cleaning the tube sockets and checking to see if any of them need to be re-tensioned.

5. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Spray some contact cleaner in those sockets.

6. Jerry Glass

Jerry Glass Member

Time it with a stop watch...it might not be the amp...especially if the interval is the same every time

I have a once every 20 second "sizzle" in my shop that can be heard through any amp. It's plagued me ever since I moved into the space.

7. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Quote:"I noticed the difference as SOON as I got it back and changed em back to 6V6's myself immediately..."

Some tubes have thicker pins than others and can spread the socket pins.I bet that's what happened with yours.When you put the 6v6's back in i bet they went in really easy. Just a thought....

Jerry,the irs is watching you....that 20 second pulse was the surveilance equipment..

8. Jerry Glass

Jerry Glass Member

At least it's not aliens.

Personally, I suspect it's the local Philharmonic trying to disrupt anything that doesn't fall into the "classical" category!