65 London owners: How does it take pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by agentcooper2001, Oct 15, 2005.

1. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

For you guys with the London amp; how does it take overdrive/distortion pedals? Also, can the clean channel get pretty loud before overdriving?

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

In general, (for distortion/overdrive) the London isn't as pedal friendly as Fender-based amps. Pedals that boost the mids don't do as well as when they are paired with a Fender amp. It absolutely kills with an AC booster though.

The amp is one of the few amps I have played that sounds GREAT without pedals. The cleans are top flight quality. As for natural distortion, the sweet spot is around 9 - and that's fairly loud - though the amp isn't as loud in the EF86 channel with the low power switch engaged.

3. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Just borrowed one for the weekend. Punchy little channel that "Color" channel is I tell tou. I played it dry but it sounded decent with a Keely BD2, really didn't need a Dyna Comp or that though. The boost switch boosts it way nice.

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

It's funny - I haven't had any interest in running any pedals through it to find out. I've had it a few weeks and aside from some delays, I don't think I've even dabbled in overdrives at all. It just sounds so sweet with a guitar cord in front of it - and I'm a guy who loves pedals!

I'll try a few out this evening and I'll let you know. Seems like the color channel could be fine for that, given EF86's pedal love in general. I don't think I'd want to mess with the trem channel - pretty tweedy gritty already, but we'll see.

5. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i normally use the FoxRox ZIM with my Bad Cat Black Cat 30r, which I just sold. I need to be able to get a nice amount of distortion live and just wondered if the London would put out with a pedal. I know it gets a nice classic overdrive by itself, I'm just talking about pushing it over that for GNR, Allmans type stuff.

I'm torn between getting the London or waiting for a custom shop Bad Cat Tone Cat 30r to be built. I know the Tone Cat would be more versatile with the EL84s in the clean channel and the EL34's on the dirty side. Something draws me to the London though. I'm really curious about the headroom on the London too, as I need it to not overdrive while playing rhythm live.

6. Swampash

Swampash Member

The thing about the London and pedals is: pedals work great!

As all amps are somewhat different, (as are all pedals), you will have to try different combinations to see which ones give you "your voice".

That said, the London sounds so excellent by itself (and IMHO, no pedals are "actually" transparent - just differing degrees of less "coloring"), any pedal you put in front of an amp that sounds this good on it's own, ends up being a somewhat of a compromise to the "base" tone. IMO, you'd use pedals to achieve tones that the amp wouldn't get naturally...i.e. *umble.

Of course, YMMV, etc.

7. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Try it with the 65 pedal!! Scarey good. Pedal has a color control and drive that is similar to the amp channel but still different enough to offer that many more tonal colors. Definitely gives the amp a kick in the ass though.

It has such nice crunchy od already, I'm thinking that something like a fulldrive would match nicely to offer some more saturated smooth od...different in character to the natural od of the amp.

BTW: It cleans up AMAZINGLY well by rolling off the guitar volume with little apparent loss of tone. Seems as if it would be very effective for cleaner rhythm work. Plus, with an ABY with the phase swap you could set one channel more for rhythm and mix and match accordingly.

This amp impresses the hell out of me and I'm playing a Fuchs ods 50 and a Constellation for the crunchier stuff. The 65 has a beautiful natural compression that sustains cleans for days yet also spins gorgeous harmonics all over the place. I don't own one yet but played with one for a few hours. Can ya tell I gotsta get me one??? Just trying to figure out where the $$ is going to come from in the next week, lol :D

8. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Couple things I noticed with the London... Usually I like compressors in front of el84 amps but I felt like the london sounded better without. Ok with, but better without... Lovepedal Eternity turns it into a monster! Also, I found that the tone held up well with an attenuator at extreme settings ..I had to use an allesandro muzzle on the last click for some lower volume gigs I have and it still sounded like itself...Which is a good thing, cause it is a loud amp!

9. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

have to agree with ya. Like I say I'm just borrowing one & I used it with a Hot Plate & tried it on -16 which usually sucks on the Hot Plate...but the 65 sounded decent with it. I also found the Dyna Comp got in the way.

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Okay, I finally threw some pedals at it. It's official - the London takes pedals fine. I tried a Fish Factory, then my Red Snapper (kinda legendary amongst RS afficionados because it sounds warmer than most), then a Moon Rock. I also tried out the "boost" on the Switchbone instead of using it as a tuner mute. Results? All good, especially the Moon Rock on the Octavia setting and the plain ol' Red Snapper.

But still... I prefer nothing but a cord between my guitar and the London - the volume knob still works best! (IMHO, YMMV, etc.) If I want a boost, the Switchbone boost is actually the most transparent of all of them. So I'd probably just bring the Switchbone and the London footswitch, which also has a boost for the "Color" channel. Okay, maybe a delay. But that's it.

What a great sounding amp on its own, and it really repays getting to know your guitar's volume knob and fooling with your pick attack.

11. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

would this amp work well for Pink Floyd stuff, like the Wall, Comfortably Numb (could I get pretty close to that lead distortion with a pedal like the ZIM) It nails it with my 30 watt Bad Cat Black Cat 30r.

I'm having a hard time finding out about where on the volume dial the overdrive starts. Does it have enough headroom to play live with w/out mic'ing it and still have a fairly clean sound? I play mostly smaller places (100 to 200 people) I play a '98 am. deluxe Tele w/3 single coil pups (nashville style)

I appreciate all the help. I've really narrowed it down between the london and the Tone Cat. It depends on how long it will take Bad Cat to deliver the Tone Cat to me.

12. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Also use FD II and Hotcake which also can be dialed in to sound great. But the OCD in both modes kills, like it's part of the amp sounding like its pushing 50-100 watts, without the ear bleed.

Also like the Barber Tone Press with slight gain and 60% compressed signal.

While we are chatting, I use an Avatar 2X12 w/ Red Fangs to great effect with the 65. Like them better than 2X12 Vox w/ 1964 Blues. Deeper bass, more control.

13. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Whoa. My experience with a very limited number of OD's is that the London takes pedals great! The only 2 pedals I own are a FD2 and a V-Stack. The lead tone I get with the V-Stack gets very close to being as good a lead tone as I've ever gotten with anything. When we do Missississip Queen and it just sings and screams.

I've tried the V stack with a Fender based boutique amp and it sounded nowhere near as good. I think having an amp with a solid low end really helps and the London has that.

14. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I use a Switchbone in front of my London to switch the channels and its boost works quite well, sending the EF86 channel especially into glorious overdriven ... uh ... glory :)

I find myself using the trem channel for 'clean' (and still rolling off my guitar volume) and 'edgy rhythm' and the Color channel/EF86 channel for 'crunch rhythm' and leads. But then I use the trem chan for leads too, with the boost.

What a great amp!

--chiba