65 Reissue Princeton Reverb - Hissing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by grownupboy, Jul 2, 2008.

1. grownupboy

grownupboy Member

Hey all... just picked up a fender 65 princeton reverb amp - and, WOW. this is one of the nicest sounding amps i've ever heard. perfect for my place and something i'm going to treasure for many years to come!

one thing, i notice a hissing (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) even at zero volume with nothing plugged into the amp. is this normal? it's not loud enough but i can clearly hear it any time the amp is on.

something that might go away over time? or is a tube on the fritz?

any help appreciated on this one... thanks a ton!

karl

2. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

turn it up fairly loud and tap on each preamp tube to see if one of them is noisey.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

What Kevin said. See if it is doing it with the reverb engaged. The amp is very quiet.

4. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Using the eraser end of a pencil is a good (safe) way to do this.

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

What's been said. I have one of these beauties and it's VERY quiet. Even cranked.

GREAT amp!

:)

PS: If you can't rectify it yourself, take it back. That's what a 5 year warranty is for. Get yourself one that doesn't hiss. I've played through 3 of these now, and all 3 were VERY quiet, and very consistant. Don't settle for one that hisses. Get a quiet one.

6. grownupboy

grownupboy Member

thanks for your replies guys...

the hissing - like a soft "shhhhhhhh" sound is present with all knobs turned to one and the volume at zero. i tried tapping on the tubes but i'm not really sure what i'm looking for there. also made sure the reverb was all the way off...

if i crank the volume, the hiss is amplified of course, but no other noise is present.

i'm wondering if i'm over-reacting? or should this thing be dead silent when the volume is at zero?

it's the kind of thing that you probably won't be able to hear in a large room or on the sales floor of a store - so i know i'm going to run into "there's nothing wrong with it" if i take it back. i hate that!

karl

7. grownupboy

grownupboy Member

well i think i solved the problem!

looks like the power bar was causing the issue. plugged the amp into a different socket and it's quiet as a church mouse... who knew?

karl