65 Twin - replacing the Jensens

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JohnM, Mar 11, 2008.

1. JohnM

JohnM Member

Ok, I need opinions/thoughts here on speakers.
    I have a 65 BF twin with the original Jensens in it (whole amp is stock) and I have decided it's time to retire the gold label jensens from active duty. I gigged w/this amp on and off for 10+ years, and the speakers have been worked to death. I love the sound of them, but one is a little scratchy at volume and prob needs a recone. I'd rather just shelf 'em and throw something in there I can abuse guilt-free.
    So....what do you guys recommend that will sound basically the same as the Jensens? I have a 2x12 with red/white/blues eminence and it sounds pretty good - definitely a contender, but I wanted to get some 2nd opinions. What do you suggest?

2. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

In our experience, the Eminence "Tonker" does well in a Twin. Another contender to consider is a Weber California.
    Good Luck

3. JohnM

JohnM Member

Haven't heard the tonkers - I guess I was put off by their putting the word 'British' in the description. I do like the r/w/b but it is a bit 'hard' sounding...of course not as forgiving as the ancient jensens, but that's a given!

4. Onswah

Onswah Member

If you like the jensens I would try a couple of webers 12F150 speakers. They sound excellent and the same vibe rather than the California which is modeled after the JBL speakers.

5. JohnM

JohnM Member

I've heard of the 12F150's - may have to try to sample 'em. A lot of webers I've heard have a nasty high-end...I take it these tame that down?

6. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

Call Ted Weber and get his personal recommendation, though I believe the speaker noted herein is the correct Weber Twin replacement. Ted can give you either a Jensen or an Oxford style of replacement. I presonally dig the higher powered 60's Oxfords.
    Peace...

7. JohnM

JohnM Member

I do want good headroom - not a big fan of speaker breakup, so the higher watt would be a good thing.

8. hoochiecoochie

hoochiecoochie Member

I prefer the original Eminence speakers - better bottom and less mid than the Jensen C 12K. IF you ae talking Jensen C12 N, I cannot comment on them other than as I understand, Fender went to the C12K as too many users were blowing the C12Ns. 50W vs. 100W. My Twin is serial number 10 from 1991 and I am the original owner. How about JBLs?

9. pgissi

pgissi Member

Well then the choice is obvious, its either JBL or EV and suspect the hiugher power handling of either above will give you more headroom than the Emi's and probably webers, if thats what you want.

A buddy had a twin years ago with a pair of JBL's, dont recall the speaker but it was the king of clean and louder than f! It could stun its victim at distance. Needless to say it was his choice for outdoors.

The EVM-12L are known for not breaking up but are unfortunately discontinued and the EV Delta Pro-12A is the replacement. With its 400 watts RMS and 800 peak handling, its not going to break up (unless you using my 200watt Marshall Major and are wearing body protection) and you will have more headroom for sure but I cant say anything about it tonally, never tried it, although have used the 12L's and wish I still had them. Stupid move on my part.

But there is the EV 12L Black Label, Zakk Wyldes speaker and I know what you are thinking but, remember it a 300watt speaker, 100db sensitivity and a freq response of 80hz to 7000.

This spells C L E A N and L O U D and I imagine Mr Wylde chooses this speaker so his uber tuned down and distorted tone stays tight and focused since it requires a speaker with better bottom specs but also more headroom or that low extended freq content for a guitar would give him sonic sludge. For a clean tone this speaker should be no different.

Not cheap at 250 a pop either but I know the JBL's cost more

I also have a Twin, a 79 Silverface of the 135watts rms nonsense that I modded to Blackface bringing the watts closer to the original 80 watts, removed the Master volume, plate voltage reduction etc etc, the whole deal and this amp still eats speakers and I wish I had those EV's.

Until I can get a pair of black labels or JBL's I am using 12" 300 watt cones from a pair of carvin monitors, its the only speaker that can take it.

I do have some 15" EV's though and with the Twin your talking maiming, not stunning.

10. JohnM

JohnM Member

I do have some old EVM12L's and they are definitely loud. Not the most musical mids or top end though. I prefer the red/white/blues' mids big time. I had a 12L in my deluxe rev for a while, lol.
    I've heard a bunch of twins w/JBL's and they are a little soupy in the mids when you hit 'em w/overdrive pedals. I have heard them sound decent in some amps though.

11. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I've heard the ceramic Weber Calis with all three dome options in a variety of bf/sf Fenders, and would choose the paper domes for a bf reverb combo. They'll add a bit of weight, but they're high headroom at 80w apiece and sound excellent out of the box.

If a 50w speaker is ok for your situation, the Eminence RWB is a best-buy.

12. JohnM

JohnM Member

The RWB is actually 120w, but there was something 'hard' in the low mids that turned me off with the twin, but I like them in some other amps.

13. gratay

gratay Member

I've got the paper cone california's in my blackface and love them.

14. JohnM

JohnM Member

good ideas so far...keep 'em coming!

15. pgissi

pgissi Member

maybe its time to try some hemp, seems you been through some amps and drivers, do something different

16. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Geez guys, the man is asking for a speaker that sounds like his old Jensens, and most of you are suggesting something completely different. I love Jensens, and i love an old C12n in a Twin. I would;

1- look for two more original C12N's on Ebay. They do come up, and while not cheap aren't more $$ than many of the speakers mentioned.

2- get yours reconed. C12N's are cheap to recone, and usually can sound good even with new materials. Once they are beaten up a bit by the Twin, they'll be fine.

3- Weber C12N clones. I've had mixed results with them, but when he gets them right, they're good, and at a reasonable price. Better than the RI Jensens, IMO.

4- The old Naylor 12" cermic speakers- forgotten the name! Mainly C12N, with a dash of Celestion thrown in.

17. JohnM

JohnM Member

Thanks 57special - yeah, I'm definitely looking for a more or less replica of the Jensens, although it's interesting to hear other opinions. I figured I'd get some out of the box suggestions, which is cool too.
    I've thought about reconing mine, I guess the only reason I'm hesitant is the value issue - do they lose their value after a recone? They still work, and the one is only slightly scratchy...and only then at pretty high volume. Figured I'd retire it before I really killed it!

18. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

John,
    Yes, a recone will hurt the value of the amp a bit, but Twins haven't appreciated the way many other vintage amps have, so it's not that big of a hit. C12N's aren't rare. Scour Ebay and you'll find a pair.

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

First off, if the amp is a 65 it shouldn't have Jensens. Fender went strictly to Utah/Oxford in about 63. The only optional speakers were the JBLs. Costwise I'd suggest either the Altec Lansings (should give you the clean overhead of the EV with a little more musical top end) or the EV SRO (alnico, so again, smoother) or the JBL D120F (at 103 dB the loudest choice). I can't speak to new replacements for these, except the EVL, which is a bit harsh IMHO...

20. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I beg to differ. Mid '65 was when Jensen's started showing up in Fenders up until late '66 when they went back to Oxford/Utah.
    I wouldn't worry about resale on reconed speakers, if they're original and sound like sh.t that would be an issue also. The important thing is original trannys. Weber will recone yours using his 12F150 cone and a 50 watt voice coil. That's cheaper than buying two of his speakers and you retain the original "look".