'65 Twin Reverb RI: are they reliable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soul1, Oct 19, 2008.

1. soul1

soul1 Member

hey guys,
    I just rented a TRRI for a week from my local shop for some recording, and I thought it sounded great, but during my time with it I noticed some weird things happening. The faceplate runs very, very hot on these for some reason? and the amp had a slight burning smell coming from it after being cranked. also, it would intermittently make strange noises (reverb tank?)

anyways, i took it back to the store and I was talking to the employee and he was telling me how all the TRRI's he's tried do the same thing and eventually break down. Lo and behold I checked some reviews online, and lots of users seem to have problems with reliablity with these things.

so anyone here have any experiences? maybe there are just a few lemons bouncing around, or are these not made that well? it sounds really good though...

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

There are a couple Silver Face Twins in the emporium and they're less than a RI.

3. m@2

m@2 Member

i might just have been lucky, but i've had mine for 3 years with no issues

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I bought a new Twin Reverb Reissue 4-6 months ago and have gigged with it probably 20 times (?) without any problems. I did replace the power tubes right away, but only because I had a new set of Groove Tube GE6L6s sitting here just waiting to be used. My TRRI sounds fantastic. I couldn't be happier with it.

Chris

5. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Gigged with mine for 7 years now,usually at least three nights a week,2 hour sets.Only tubes have gone,no other problems at all.Solid reliable amp,although I swapped the speakers for Tone Tubbys.(Not because they blew,because I upgraded.)

6. wilerty

wilerty Member

I had 4 different problems with my TRRI in less than a year. Most had to do with overheating. I do not play out and rarely had the amp over 2 and never over 3. Great sound ... but I sold it. Some people are lucky ... some aren't.

7. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Cranked!! :eek: Holy crap....I don't think I ever had mine past 3! But, I never had a bit of trouble with it in the two years that I gigged with it.

8. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

The burning was probably your inner ear on fire from the decibels, and the intermittent strange noises is probably tinnitus! ;)

Your ear = :boxer:boxer

:rotflmao

9. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

The strange noises could have been a tube dying. What type of noises? Very loud bursts of static?

10. soul1

soul1 Member

haha, when I said cranked I actually more like 5 or 6 on the volume knob, (which is very loud!) cranking that amp would definetly cause some serious injuries...:agree

the noises were loud bursts of static, and the sound of the reverb tank being struck/touched, so you get that really loud KPLAAAAANNNNNGGG

even though I wasn't hitting/touching the amp at all.

11. veldt666

veldt666 Member

Although my main gigging amps are Fuchs ODS, I picked up a cheap 65TRI a few months ago.
    I'd also heard all the "Unreliability" Issues, so was waiting for it to break down, while I'm loving the sound.
    It came fitted with Groove tubes & Eminence Legends which sounded fine, but, I swapped out for Eminence Swamps & Phillips 7581's. At the second gig after the swap out, switched on, & Bang! Blew the mains fuse.
    "Here we go" I thought. On the bench, discovered a getter had snapped of in one of the 7581's, & shorted the tube, taking a couple of resistors with it.

Tube replaced under warranty, all fixed & sounding monster, so I wait with baited breath, each time I switch on now. But still "Love" the sound, running @ Vol.8, Bass.5, Mid. 8, Treble.5. Zendrive or Keeley Rat in front, This amp "Kills".

12. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

at that volume I bet it does kill

:dude

13. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

Mine was indestructible. played about 500 gigs with it (on its original tubes and speakers), loved it. Had to sell it and I still regret it. I'm not even going to cop to all the stupid things I accidentally did to it and it never broke down.

14. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I think the silverface ones are a much better value. you can get a 68 drip edge one for not much more than a reissue

15. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, like the one I'm trying to sell!